Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be on her a lot when I first got my boys, but then I got a promotion, and I'm about to graduate college, at any rate, here's a not so happy update.

About a month ago the three older boys I have, Jeebs, Nacho, and Gordon, started really coughing. I figured they were due for a check up anyway, so away we went a few days ago.

Nacho and Gordon and Jeebs all have pretty severe respiratory problems. My youngest boy, Banjo, has no problems, so the vet is sure it's just from old age, and not a virus or anything environmental. Jeebs is the worst, he's barely passing air, according to the vet. Nacho and Gordon are still passing air, but it's still difficult for them. I had the hard decision about what to do because the doxy injections are so expensive. I decided to give Jeebs the 6 week round of injectable doxy. The rest are getting doxy in their water. As a result, Jeebs has to be separated from his brothers. Since Banjo doesn't have any issues, I've been sticking him in with Jeebs, just to keep him company.

Everyone is on an oral baytril. The vet is sitting there telling me that putting Jeebs down could quickly become an option. I understand he can hear his lungs, but other than slowing down a little bit, everyone is acting normal. Since I started the baytril I've heard no coughing. Everyone is jumping, climbing, drinking, getting excited about food, grooming, playing. So it's weird to see him acting completely normal, yet have a vet tell me he probably won't live much longer, and the doxy could be a total waste of time. I've known the time was coming. I've had the older three for 2 years now, so they're at least that old, and this is when it starts coming to an end, and I've known that.

He does think that Jeebs is almost three though! He says that the other two are about two and half or so. And I know Banjo is about a year and a half old.

I guess I just have to wait and see how this all goes. Fingers crossed that Jeebs spends his last leg of life happy and comfortable and that Gordon and Nacho get this cough cleared up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Aweee. :c

I hope your ratties get better ASAP!
Best of luck to you, dear.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If Jeebs seems happy, I would continue medication and not put him down. Just my opinion though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts