Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 5 adult females one of whom ended up giving birth to 15 adorable babies and I was thinking about keeping 2 of the boys I have the ALT equivalent of a DCN that the girls are currently in and I have an ALT luxury rat home that I started out with...so my question is if I keep these two darling little boys should I block off a level of the girls cage for them or keep them in the other cage

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I would put them in an entirely separate cage away from girls. Boys and girls can be very crafty when they want to mate, and I've read they can mate through cage bars but I'm not sure if that's entirely true. I just know they're very quick. So don't let them run around each other's cages during freetime, or maybe you could move one cage to a different room when giving freetime.

If you have boys and girls, I would DEFINITELY get the boys neutered when they're old enough. There have been plenty of forum members who tried to be very careful with intact boys a girls and ended up with litters. Especially if you have 5 girls, and one had 15 babies.. if one boy got loose and managed his way to the girl's cage, you could have 75 more babies! @[email protected]

But others have been successful with keeping intact males and females. I'm just especially paranoid about accidental litters happening. ;D

I kept two boys from my girl's litter and had them neutered when they were old enough. It's very cute and unique to see boy and girl rats living together so comfortably. (I have one big boy and one small hairless girl that like each other, and seeing them cuddle is really adorable) And the personality differences interact very cute ways together. I would like to continue having a co-ed cage in the future so I'd be very happy to get boys or girls fixed in the future.

·
Registered
479 Posts
We keep our boys upstairs and girls down, simply because I don't want to risk the girls driving the boys mad. I remember there was a thread a little while back and the subject of mating though bars came up and it was said, by several people, that no there is no way for them to mate through bars. They need a spesific position that cannot be achived through bars. And most people i've seen with boys and girls seperate let them climb over the opposites cage and don't have an issue. It's when you let them have play time together or don't secure the cages properly, that you have issues.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ah ok, yeah i thought that mating through the bars sounded very unlikely. I'm just very paranoid so I wouldn't take any sort of risks anyway! Keeping them in seperate areas of your house is a good idea too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts