Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rats are so different. They range from the tamest rat to super-skiddish.

Maisy, my oldest. Is really fat and lazy. She never runs on her wheel, and hordes food. She's a bully towards the other 2 girls in her cage. She is always at the front of the cage begging for my attention. Once she's on my shoulder, she doesn't move. She'll sit there for an hour just watching what I do, bruxing and boggling the whole time.

The next tamest I would say is Roo, he's my double rex. He is a very young rat, but loves to stay close to me, and hides under my shirt. I think once he gets braver, he'll be less likely to stay close.

Next would be Una. She is also very young, but is taming very quickly. She seems fairly calm for a female, and likes to stay close too. Once she gets older though, she'll probably get more curious.

Nyneave would probably be next. She's tame, but she's so full of energy, she can't sit still. She's always looking around for something to get into.

Tika I haven't handled that much, except for her daily medicine. She squeaks when I pick her up, but once I set her down and pet her, she starts to boggle. I haven't been handling her that much because she's pregnant, and I don't want to stress her anymore than the daily dose of medicine does.

Leeloo is the least tame of all. She is a very shy and submissive little girl. She's very active, just like Nyneave, but she gets startled by many things. She also finds hiding places in the cage where I can't see her. She lets Maisy and Nyneave walk all over her.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: I'm intrigued by the difference of my rats' pe

i have the same variation with my 3 girls

Rattles is so "tame" she is just like a dog ((which is probably cause we got her at 4 weeks and she grew up with my dog... lol))

Then beanie is ver skittish of me if i try to pick her up but she loves to be petted. And if shes free range she will come over for a scritch everynow and again...still cant pick the bugger up though.. lol

Then finally Bailey she is very curios but likes to stay with me. In the cage she is quite skittish but loves having a good scritch

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Re: I'm intrigued by the difference of my rats' pe

dingosm8 said:
Tika I haven't handled that much, except for her daily medicine. She squeaks when I pick her up, but once I set her down and pet her, she starts to boggle. I haven't been handling her that much because she's pregnant, and I don't want to stress her anymore than the daily dose of medicine does.
dingosm8, Is Tika the one you are giving the cipro to for URI and she's pregnant??
Oh oh.
Read this!
http://ratguide.com/breeding/basics/medications_and_breeding.php

Safe in pregnancy:
# Zithromax
# Tylosin
# Amoxicillin
# amoxicillin with clavulanate
# cefadroxil
# Prednisolone

Avoid:
# Most Fluoroquinolones: Ciprofloxacin/Enrofloxacin (Baytril) *
# Flagyl
# Reglan
# Albuterol
# Trimethoprim-sulfa
# Asprin (Can cause birth defects in rats)
# Tetracycline (May impede development of fetal bones and teeth)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure Tika isn't pregnant. Maybe she was just gorging on food when I first rescued her. I think she may have been a breeder before. I can't tell how old she is. Do female rat stomachs stay stretched out if they've had a lot of litters?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My rats have different personalitys

Stella - she is my cheeky girl but very skittish and runs to the top of the cage if i open the doors or anything ...

Ratatouille- she is so cuddly and brave and sweet - i sit with her on my tummy whilst im on the pc - (my fat rolls are good for somthing ;) )

Celery - celery is more nervouse but fatter and doesnt climb that much

but my girls are supposed to be almost 10 weeks but they look more like 7 weeks at most
Jess x

·
Registered
483 Posts
My boy Ira-- very sweet and likes to be held close to your arm, but when he gets tired of anyone holding him he wiggles and squirms and wants to be let down he runs

My littlest firl Koi-- very hyper and energtic, also can be a little too much-- she is not spayed and goes into heat about every 5 days

My Darla--- very motherly, sometimes skittish, other times she will come up to you and beg for food- or to come out, but she like fabric and will make the beds in the cage.

My sisters rats have dif personalitys too--

All her boys love to play rough, but they can also be very sweet--- her one girl is very skittish--- but I don't know about her foster girls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts