Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just found the dreaded rat problem...that bein a lump.

i found it on my hairless rat, Victoria. I HOPE and think its just a cyst, because it seems to be somewhat free to move under the skin.

and i think cysts move but tumors dont...is that correct?

im not sure of her age. shes not a full grown but she is big. Its on her throat, which im thinkin will be very difficult.

I'm callin the vet tommorow and i have a wonderful vet. she's dealt with my guinea pigs in the past so i'm hoping she does rats too.

if it is a cyst, do they drain it or is it surgerically removed?

can someone inform me more on the circumstances/.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It may also be an abscess... in which case it would be drained, possibly on its own time. :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
tumors can move and a free floating one is better then one that is attached as the surgery for removal is easier and there's less of a chance for anemia as the blood supply to it is low. but not all tumors are cancerous. there are two ways to tell though. a byopsy of the growth which can cost a heck of a lot of money to find out that you can't really do anything either way or you can wait and watch. if she starts losing weight then its cancerous and all you can do is make her comfortable and happy with the time she has left. luckily though though tumors are common they are not usually cancerous.

if its a cyst it won't move much and will feel hard. it will grow then possibly shrink but will always be there and will always remain small. i have a rat with one. it doesn't make her look beautiful but it doesn't harm her any either. in fact if you didn't know it was there and unless she stands just right you wouldn't even notice it. but a cyst is harmless. even i have one on my knee. not beautiful but again, harmless.

if its an abcess its likely to be gooshy and will come to a head with hot compress. in which case you can prick and drain and make sure it stays clean. OR you can leave it alone and give your rat some antibiotics and it could go away on its own. these are much more a nuisance then anything else. and if you have to drain it then it can get sore for the rat but not life threatening.

a experienced rat vet should be able to make a fair guess by feel if its a tumor, cyst or abcess and any doubt can be taken care of with a fine needle aspirate or a dose of antibiotics and close supervision.

good luck with everything and please let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
agree with twitch except i'd like to add (esp to forensic's comment) that i really encourage anyone that thinks (or knows) that their rat has an abcess to get it drained at the vets. you should not wait for it to drain on it's own because it is a closed infection under the animal's skin and it a)hurts a lot and b)can be deadly before it drains on it's own. i know you can "pop" them and drain them at home, but the fluid from inside an abcess can make you really sick as well (esp from cat abcesses) and an open abcess should be washed out with diluted clorhexadine or something similar if you have it to prevent it from coming back and the animal put on antibiotics as well.

either way, because you're not sure if it's a cyst or abcess or tumor, go to the vets anyway and let us know what they say!

sorry for that public service anouncement, but i hate seeing animals come into our clinic with an advanced abcess saying "oh we thought it would go away on it's own but now she's losing weight and not eating and has diarrhea and etc etc etc." :p

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never drain it myself, because i would imagine it hurting, and i could never hurt my baby.

im def goin to a vet. makin the apptment tommorow. stinks cause my parents wont pay(its a "replaceable" pet to them) but i'll pay any cost for it to go away and have her healthy.

i'll reply tommorow with results...wednesday at the latest.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My Jay had gotten a Lump and after taking him to a vet, they first wanted me to pay a very large amount of money just to have a sample sent to a lab. The vet I go to owns rats himself and its amazes me how even he couldnt tell if it was a tumor or an abcess. I posted a a dew pics on here and my good friend Stephanie pointed out that it WAS an abcess and she walked me through the process of keeping it in check untill it poped on its own and how to care for it afterwards. Here Ill give you the links, maybe it will help you out a bit.

I know I posted another on somewhere but here are the before and afters.
http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1099.html

·
Registered
997 Posts
chrisstrikeagain, I think everyone has gotten that kind of reaction at one point or another. It sucks, I know...:(

My parents had the same attitude about my babies. I was very suprised my dad felt that way having had countless numbers of hamster and gerbils(never rats, though, so maybe that's why?). But months before my 16th birthday I was looking for places to work(Louisiana state law prevents 15 year olds from actually earning money -_-;; ) and my grandmother so happened to hear about that and offered to put in an application where she works(the Department of Insurance) and the say after my brithday I started work.

My parents have since then shut the heck up about them being 'just rats'.

:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Tonite i went to the vet and boy, did it hurt my bank account. After a struggle and a bite, we found out it was actually 3 bumps...meanin 3 little tumors.
My vet drained a few cells for testing so i can find out if its begign or malegnant.

if begign, i might not get them removed. if malegnant, i'lll have to have them removed.
But since its on her neck, even if it is beging, i probally will have to remove it anyway.

Testing was 216$.

he said removal can be around 1000+$
aanybody in the us who had removal srgery...if so, how much was it?

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Wow!!! In Canada I pay $300+ for a tumor removal. That is very very expensive. I paid $1140 for my first tumor removal at a very expensive (read rip off) vet clinic before I knew any better. You need to find a new vet in your area. 8O

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been calling around to a bunch of vets and trying to find pricing for things like tumor removal and such, and the most expensive one I heard was $500. The rest were like $250-$300 depending on size and location and time needed to remove.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow...thanks. I'm def gonna go somewhere else. i love my vet, but they are known to be pricey. im thinkin i'll go to Rad Bank Emergency Hospital(i think thats the name), they are absolutely excellent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts