Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, We have had two rats for 5 weeks now, they are a little less active than our three seasoned and crazy ferrets, but a beautiful addition to our lives non-the-less.

The ferrets are (albino female) Mischief, (light brown male) Jax and (light brown / dark mask & feet) Rebel. They live in their own room, while the rats are in the living room with us for now. The ferrets seem inquisitive, but not invasive while out.
Does anyone have experience with these guys together?

We had the rats in a small Hartz '1/3rd round' cage until tonight. We found a 24"W x 16"D x 28"H cage that meets their needs for $18 at a junk store earlier today. I'm soooooooo happy, and so are they!!!! I made them a hammock and tomorrow I will find a nice forked stick to climb on (after baking it to get rid of bugs). They also have a cardboard floor to walk on, with a 2" toilet area all around through the bars in the bottom.

I notice they pretty much stay off the bars in the floor.

I'll try to get a pic or two. -Here's a pic from my PDA of the white / brown one. The other is all Mocha, both girls.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Welcome! Aw, what a pretty little rat:)

Even though I have no first hand experience on keeping rats and ferrets together, I'd be worried that the ferrets might view the rats as prey. :?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I notice they pretty much stay off the bars in the floor.

Yeah, you really should cover up the wire floors. Is not good for rat feeties.

Inyways, welcome!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Do not let the ferrets and rats play together. Ferrets are very sturdy tough creatures and even if they were to play with the rats they wouldn't be gentle at all. They would play ROUGH thus hurting the little guys and getting hurt in the process.

I had my ferret just sniff the rats through the bars one day and she got her nose bitten into O_O It was a freak reason that she was even able to do so, the rats were drinking like crazy in the living room and Chris was recording so I put them in the bedroom on the bed. Spazz snuck up without me seeing her and sniffed and before I could do anything CHOMP. She was alright but it was unpleasant. I'm sure the rats would do worse if left without the cage and the ferrets being how they are would reciprocate.

Just keep them seperate and they will be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my line of thinking. The ferrets have been out and checked out the rat cage, but the ratties were sleeping and really didn't care to venture out of the igloo.

By the way, I hung a terry cloth towel like a closed up hammock in the cage, thinking the rats would LOVE it, and they won't even touch it!
It's a new towel, so I wonder if there is a smell or chemical in it. I'll try a washed one. They are the type used for washing cars - The ferrets have them for hammocks in their cage and love them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts