Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in contact with a girl on Craig's List since the very beginning of January about a rat and cage she had available, and yesterday was finally the day I could go and meet him. She's moving soon, and wasn't confident in her ability to care for the rattum. She also hasn't had a whole lot of time to play and socialize with him. She's had him for about 4 months, and when she got him he was full grown.. She thought he'd be around 6-7 months old now, but I'm thinking he's closer to a year. He's a VERY sweet boy, and although quite scared when I first met him, he did settle down and bruxed a little bit while I was holding him at her house. We talked for about an hour, I let her know what my plans were, and she agreed that I seemed like the perfect home for him. So an hour and 15 minutes after I'd arrived I was driving home with my new boy.

His name is Alfie, and he's got some lovely markings, IMO. During the car ride home I talked to him the whole way and he'd come to the front of the cat carrier to check me out, listen, and then retreat to the back of the carrier. I think he spent more time at the front listening to me than hiding.

I did do some immersion with him last night for about an hour and half, and took some pictures to show ya'll. He was quite curious about his new digs, and a few times ran back to me when one of the cats scratched at the door. He bruxed once or twice, and did some preen-thinking three times. He absolutely LOVES hanging out int eh space between my legs when I'm sitting criss-cross. He didn't quite fall asleep then, but he did relax and just cuddle for a bit.

He came with all his stuff, which wasn't a lot. So I expect he was rather bored in his cage (A dual level Feisty Ferret). I put him in my petsmart starter rat cage to start, since it's smaller, and tonight I will be putting his regular cage back together. I'm also planning on making him some toys and hammocks and whatnot to give him some enrichment.

Next step - find some buddies for him. I've been in contact with one lady about some babies she has born on 12/31, and will hopefully be bringing home two as playmates for Alfie when they're old enough.

Okay, enough typing.. Pictures!!
Sorry these are sideways, these boards never seem to like phone pictures.

Rat Muridae Tail Mouse Muroidea
Checking out the interesting smells.

Rat Muridae Rodent Tail Hamster
Cleaning himself, he was doing some heavy duty preen-thinking just before this.
He's got the cutest little spot on his armpit, and white paws.

Tail Leg Hand Canidae Guinea pig
He did some climbing all over me, although wasn't feeling super confident about coming up my arm/shoulder.

I'll be taking more pictures of him as we get to know one another. So far I'm completely smitten with him, He's just SO chill.

·
Registered
42 Posts
He's so handsome!

·
Registered
437 Posts
He's gorgeous, glad he's got a home with someone who's willing to get him some rattie friends! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alfie and I spent some time together last night just hanging out and I took more pictures. He's really quite the cudddle bug and I'm enjoying getting to know him. He's still more comfortable in his cage than out of it, but I suppose that's to be expected since his arrival was just Sunday night. He absolutely LOVES having his cheek scritched and leans into it, which is pretty funny to see.

Hair Nose Pink Skin Lip

Hair Facial expression Nose Whiskers Rat
This was actually the night before last:
Hair Rat Rodent Muridae Gerbil

·
Registered
31 Posts
He's gorgeous!! you must be such a proud mommy! :3

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks untidyvenus! I am pretty proud. I'm waiting to hear back from someone about a couple babies and so in preparation I've started switching alfie's cage around. Right now he's in a starter kit I got from petsmsrt. He came with a feisty ferret, and that got a total scrub down on Monday, and put back together Tuesday so I could switch alfie to that cage. Now he's hanging out in the hood of my sweatshirt bruxing. Litter training will also be starting today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts