Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start at the story. I am fostering two girls from North Star Rescue, Ive been fostering them since who knows when, maybe a couple weeks before summer vacation for me ended so August. The girls were the most social of the bunch but I was capable of picking them up and hanging out with them.
Two or so weeks ago they were supposed to go back to North Star because she wanted to place them with a very lonely neutered boy. I agreed but nothing happened, I haven't had an email from her since.

Now the thing is, I doubt that these two rats are really only 8 months old, I believe they are around a year because of their size and hair. I was told Ebony didn't have the best eye site, she is a PEW. So I assumed it was only because of the pink eyes.

Ebony and Runway have been fine and dandy, spoiled as ever but EBONY has been up and down with URI and her breathing is horrible and her eyes sometimes are covered in the red junk or aren't. She has been fine now but once she acted up with it I emailed Lauren, the owner or North Star and I haven't had a reply for days, I looked for a phone number and couldn't find it.

Ebony is kinda fine now, just bad breathing but she had had SUCH a bad attitude. Whenever I put my hand in the cage to play with the girls, she comes at me with her mouth open. I'm scared to put my hand in there because I KNOW what a rat BITE feels like. Runway is supposed to be the random mouther that wants to nibble on everything, not Ebony. I cant even give her treats. I put a treat near her mouth and she does nothing then randomly SNATCHES it, with scary intentions, its not just a gimme gimme its a, 'if I miss the treat your fingers coming with me!' SO SCARY. Makes me jump, so now I just put the treat near her and let her find it.

I tried picking her up the other day to maybe force socialize her again, but she did something no rat has before, turned her body around and went to bite my hand, again, another miss. This rat scares me, not only because of the biting, but I'm naturally scared of PEW, Pink eyed, red eyed anything! Its hard having her.

I don't know what I'm asking help for, but more along the line I'm upset that its been a week and Lauren, North Star, has not replied to my email even though its about a rat they have that is sick that they said they would handle if it came to vet visits ect.

-rolls on the floor- :?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
geeze i don't know what to say to that. i'v heard a lot about north star and i thought they were better at handling their fosters then that. perhaps something went loopy with the email or their computer and have not received your email yet. hopefully that's just the case there.

have you tried using gloves when handling ebony? at the very least that will protect you from a bad bite but it will also likely boost your confidence. which will likely boost ebony's as well. she may just be sensing your nerves and its making her nervous as well. its really quite common to work that way.

please keep us updated though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts