Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[align=center]

Nyxion with pearls and her beloved mirror lol.

Nova chasing me outside.

Both girls chasing me. (It was their first time outside, I think they thought I was gonna leave them lol)

Nova getting ready to come out of her cage.

Nova... She was scared to touch the grass at first lmao.

Nyxion sniffing a leaf like.. omg wth is that??? lol[/align]

·
Registered
122 Posts
omg,they are so cute!!!I would probably take Ollie outside,but I have a dog and two cats outside,lol.The cats come inside too,and I've cought them sleeping next to his cage with him right next to them sleeping in his cage,its so cute!!!!!The want to play with him more than hurt him,but I don't trust them,especially the kitten,the hunt when they're outside=(.Its good to know they can hunt though,if they ever get lost.And my dog looks mean,but she just wants to play,she carried around a opossum when she was younger,she would leave it,wait for it to try to leave,then go back and get it=p

·
Registered
981 Posts
I get nervous about taking my rats outside. I saw a YouTube video where a kid was playing with a mouse outside on top of its cage and a hawk just swooped right down and grabbed it and flew away.

I used to take them outside but I just don't think I could now. I'm probably overreacting but oh well!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol. Well my dog passsed away a while ago, so I have no outside pets to worry about, and I live in the city so I don't have to worry about hawks and what not either, just the feral cats, but they're never outside without me, so yea lol. They love being outside, and the way I see it they ned fresh air too just like us

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah your rats are really cute, both are young I presume? they look it. My rat Alfonso loves running outside

·
Registered
941 Posts
cjshrader said:
I get nervous about taking my rats outside. I saw a YouTube video where a kid was playing with a mouse outside on top of its cage and a hawk just swooped right down and grabbed it and flew away.

I used to take them outside but I just don't think I could now. I'm probably overreacting but oh well!

LOL! I seen that Video on TV! I was laughing so hard, then I felt bad for the kid....lol...

viishuz said:
Why can't you take your boy outside Matt?
The Backyard is not Fenced in. Also, Theres pesticides and stuff on our grass.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I loved taking my rat Trixie out because she would chase me. I think its because its open space and your shelter, so you'll protect them? I loved it though. they look adorable!

·
Registered
84 Posts
aww i love the outdoor pics. your blue girly is gorgeous.

do your girls run far from you when you play with them on the grass?

im afraid that i would somehow lose my rats outside in the bushes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're both still very young 4 months, and they run off a bit to explore, but when I call them they come back hopping, it's the most adorable thing ever. They never go completely out of my sight, and if they go what I think is too far, I'll get them and bring them back and make them sit with me for a couple minutes, and then let them go. They figured out they needed to stay semi close after a while. My backyard is pretty big, and the main attraction for them is the tree, they like chasing each other around it, and also they love digging up what the squirrels buried, though I don't think the squirrels appreciate it lol. But I've never had them try to runaway. Especially Nova (b&w) she's my baby, she gives me kisses and follows me everywhere, goes on car rides etc. Nyxion's a bit more independent and she'll push it sometimes, but always runs back and climbs up my leg if she thinks I'm going in lol. She's tries to act tough, but she's a little softie lol.

But to all you guys who don't take your rats outside, I think you should try to find a place to take them where they can go safely outside, they also have a playpen at petco you can set up for them outside, when you don't want to constantly chase them, because at first they will most likely be extremely curious. Maybe it's just me, but I look at it as a necessity for my girls to get outside time every morning while it's still cool, or in the evening, but they go outside and play and get fresh air at least once a day. Do other people think this is as important as me? Or is it just my personal opinion alone? Idk, just the way I think about it, if you were them, ALWAYS inside, wouldn't you want to go outside and play in the fresh air? Idk let me know =)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm also afraid of hawks,my house is like ith the woods,we have a really long driveway.There are all kinds of hungry animals out there,hawks,feral cat,wild dogs(I once saw a cyote in my backyard when I was eating breakfast).And I'm afaid he might run off,normally,inside he doesn't go far from me,but it might scare him with all of the scents from the woods and creek

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WHat if you got him a playpen and let him play around while you were watching him? If you were still scared of a hawk or something swooping down, these playpens have really neat covers to provide shelter, security, and shade to your rat =)

·
Registered
122 Posts
cool,I'll try to find one

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to get my password reset at work and my password had the word rats in it.

So the guy resetting the password had to tell me this wonderful story about how his friend was playing with his pet rat outside and a how hawk came down and grabbed it :(

I also saw a wild mouse cross a road once and saw a crow grab down and eat it. When we used to put our gerbils outside in their cage (without the bottom) the crows used to caw at them and watch them.

So I'm too worried to let my rats run around outside but I would if I could. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea well I think if you let them play outside in a playpen or just keep a close eye on them they'd be fine, but that's my opinion I just don't think it's right you know to not let them go outside but I can definately understand where you guys are coming from especially those in rural area's. I know when I ride my horse i've many times seen a hawk swoop down and grab field mice, I even saw one take a jack rabbit, it was crazy! But that's nature, and that's their instinct so you guys would have to be careful.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am waaaaaay to nervous of parasites to let my my girls run around on the ground outside. **** no, especially not on the grass.

The closest any of my girls have come to being on the ground outside is trundling along the railing of my back patio for a minute or so.

I used to love playing in the dirt with bugs when I was a kid and I have seen red mites running around on bits of wood, wood lice, etc.

Aren't you afraid she will catch something? Do you check her regularly for sores? Do you have a fund in case she catches something?

I'm sorry for being so in your face about it, that's really not how I am about other people's rats. I just get nervous thinking about Doris running around on the grass digging up dirt and eating bugs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it's only right to let them outside, they're animals, they need FRESH air, they need room to run around in. I play and handle my rats everyday, morning, day and night, if my girls had ANYTHING different going on with them I would know. And I wouldn't keep ANY animal, if I didn't have the money to take care of it if something DID happen to them. I have two rats, and a horse, and I have the money if I need it, to care for them properly. My girls are fine, have never gotten sores, or mice, or lice, and love playing outside. There is nothing outside that could har, them and if there was, I'd take them somewhere I knew was safe to let them play. Thankyouverymuch =)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts