Rat Muridae Rodent Muroidea Hamster
Epsi / Smoke: Charcoal Capped With a Small Blaze
Rodent Hamster Rat Muroidea Muridae
Zayta: Black Hooded

Ayta: Black Self Dumbo
Rat Degu Rodent Muridae Muroidea
Thayta/ Fawn: Fawn With Broken Hood Standard
Skin Hand Finger Thumb Nail

All names subject to change as I get to know their personalities! Currently working with the Greek alphabet, just to have something to call them. First attempted cage cleaning is taking FOREVER! Mainly because the girls have not yet learned to come into the transport cage, and I am not yet comfortable with catching them.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
did u just get all of them together? thats alot :)

They are very pretty. I'd love a black self. I saw one in a pet store once but I really shouldnt have gotten anymore so I didnt get him. Maybe someday ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did u just get all of them together? thats alot :)

They are very pretty. I'd love a black self. I saw one in a pet store once but I really shouldnt have gotten anymore so I didnt get him. Maybe someday ;)
I drove up to Baton Rouge (90 miles away) to get them from a rattery. Fawn was born on 1 April -- no wonder she's a joker! -- and the others were either born on 27 or 29 April. Since they were going to be in a house with active dogs, I wanted to be sure of calm temperaments, and that's one of the things this rattery breeds for.

I didn't really pick them by colors -- I put my hands in the breeder's pen and let the ones who wanted to come to me do so.

Alfa/Blaze swarmed up the side and right into my hands before I could even reach for them, and she likes grabbing my rings. She thinks my long hair would make a good nest!

Yes, eight is a bunch. I was thinking of four or five, but my husband said, "Well, you got that huge CND, how about a nice round number like eight?" (He may regret that with the fun we had catching them today!)

Blaze, Badger, and Smoke have definitely figured out that I come bearing neat treats, like homemade jerky, homemade dried fruits, fresh romaine lettuce, other fresh veggies, and homemade yogurt. Fawn will sit on my hands as long as they are in the cage, but when I try to bring her out, she jumps back in.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
lol I have 11 (well 15 currently with new babies born) 7 of which are girls. I could not imagine starting out with so many at once lol! It is alot. I get swarmed by my girls. Whenever I put them away in their cage at night I have to count them all like 3 times to make sure I have everyone accounted for :)

But having to drive a bit for them it may have made sense as rats are addictive :)

Mine love my rings too lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
lol I have 11 (well 15 currently with new babies born) 7 of which are girls. I could not imagine starting out with so many at once lol! It is alot. I get swarmed by my girls. Whenever I put them away in their cage at night I have to count them all like 3 times to make sure I have everyone accounted for :)

But having to drive a bit for them it may have made sense as rats are addictive :)

Mine love my rings too lol
Oh, gracious! New babies? I've heard of some folks who have had intentional litters -- and the moms popped 18 at a time. That would be scary! I can't imagine having that many of ANY critter!

The rattery had another twenty or so available... it was hard to choose! As I said, I put my hands in, and let the rats choose whether or not to come to me. I could have had some from a local gal whose rats proved that "where there's a will, there's a way!" as the cages with the girls and the boys were set too close together. (The mind boggles at the notion.) But knowing that they would be sharing the house with my Hounds, I particularly wanted rats who were raised with a calm temperament, and who were already used to dogs -- and these were.

Blaze and Badger like licking me. It tickles. It is hard, keeping track of who is who. In particular, I'm not yet familiar enough with the subtleties of colors and I have trouble telling Gami, Delta, and Ayta apart. As is evidenced by the fact that they don't yet have names other than my working ones.

Blaze grabs my Medic Alert bracelet and tries to make off with it every time!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh my! 8 babies at once! It sounds as scary as funny! I am having troubles naming my new girls because they are 3 identical pew sisters rescued from a lab. So far, I named one, chose a second name but haven't decided who's taking that name, and I have a third whose name will remain a mistery for a bit longer I guess.

Congratulations on your new brats and I hope you figure the names soon!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Such a pretty crew! I couldn't hang with 8, but it's always neat to see a huge rattie family. Congratulations on all your new babies.
Well, I wasn't PLANNING on eight, originally, but then I had this huge CND, and space, and all the ratties were so dang cute...!

I hope I can get everyone's names tagged to them properly!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my! 8 babies at once! It sounds as scary as funny! I am having troubles naming my new girls because they are 3 identical pew sisters rescued from a lab. So far, I named one, chose a second name but haven't decided who's taking that name, and I have a third whose name will remain a mistery for a bit longer I guess.

Congratulations on your new brats and I hope you figure the names soon!
It is scary. My first (and last, until now) rattie was a lab rescue. He got a rough start as an experimental rat in the nutrition department of my university, then came to the psychology department for maze experiments. At the end of the quarter, I was told I could keep him, or he would be euthanized, as he was no longer maze-naive. He got me an A! How could I leave him?

I'm having trouble sorting Gami, Delta, and Ayta (tentative names). The rest I'm beginning to figure out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The good thing is that your girls have different colours and markings! With these inbred wistars I am having a hard time telling each from the others :p I am honestly considering putting a little drop of food colouring on their shoulders so I can get used to tell each other apart so I can properly name them. Wistar rats are really good at learning tricks but if I can't teach them even their names I'll be at loss.

I actually intended to adopt just one lab rat to keep my lonely girl company but then the person that adopts them out from the lab convinced me to accept a second one and later she told me the last one was the only that hadn't found a home and she was going to be put to sleep if I didn't take her. I just couldn't so I took them all and I don't regret it a bit. They are so happy now T.T

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The good thing is that your girls have different colours and markings! With these inbred wistars I am having a hard time telling each from the others :p I am honestly considering putting a little drop of food colouring on their shoulders so I can get used to tell each other apart so I can properly name them. Wistar rats are really good at learning tricks but if I can't teach them even their names I'll be at loss.
Oh, heavens, I was thinking of food coloring on the three who look gray to me, even though one's an Agouti Berkshire, one's a Black Berkshire Dumbo, and one's a Black Self Dumbo. I mean, the dumbo ears help sort those two out, but... but...

And yes, if I can tell who's who, how do I teach them tricks? Badger, Blaze, and Fawn I can tell easily. Fawn's a bit shy, but Badger and Blaze are right there when I open the cage. The Girls are beginning to learn that I am the Bearer of Tasty Treats. They have their Oxbow and water in the cage at all times, but they only get romaine and zucchini and carrots and pecans and lentil crisps and dried liver treats and other such items when I hand it to them. And I'm trying to make sure that each girl gets a treat.

I actually intended to adopt just one lab rat to keep my lonely girl company but then the person that adopts them out from the lab convinced me to accept a second one and later she told me the last one was the only that hadn't found a home and she was going to be put to sleep if I didn't take her. I just couldn't so I took them all and I don't regret it a bit. They are so happy now T.T
Well, as I told you, Rescue was how I ended up with old Baron, my rat of some 40 years ago. Glad your crew are happy -- may they live as long as Baron did! He was still running around up to the day he died.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the Girls have decided that the Human can be trained.

They have their rat chow and plenty of fresh water, 24/7. I've been reserving the Good Stuff, like lettuces, zucchini, fresh green beans, other veggies, fruits, jerky, almonds, cashews, occasionally cheese, and black bean pasta for when I come in to play with them. The first day, only Badger came to me. Last night, six of the eight were right up there!

This morning, just about Treat Time, I had to answer the front door. Which meant I came into the rat area. Everyone was there... and the Human had no treats for ratties, because she wasn't coming to play!

I had all eight of them chittering at me indignantly, bounding around the cage and giving me baleful looks.

So I reached over and got a handful of the black bean pasta and offered that, and the chittering became crunching, and they were satisfied. The Human had answered the Orders About What Is Suitable For Ratties.

(We can deal with this, say Badger, Blaze, Fawn, Smoke, Zayta, and the other three whose names I haven't sorted yet. This Human is trainable....)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tonight, I went to take the Girls a carrot, cut in lots of small pieces, along with the carrot greens. It was later than usual, but by the time I'd refilled their water bottle (glass, they chewed a hole in the plastic fill-from-the-top one, so I ordered three more glass ones) I had seven of the eight on the upper level for treat time, and the eighth was sticking her head out of the pod.

Badger was determined to come play with me. I picked her up and petted her as I usually do, and she pushed out of my hands and ran up my arm into my hair. I untangled her and set her back in the cage, and she turned and jumped out to me while I was petting Blaze. She rather rudely climbed over Smoke as I was petting her, and back up my arms.

So I carried her with me while I filled the food dish (a nice trick, opening the canister one-handed!) and got them fresh water. I petted her again while she climbed up and licked my fingers and palm.

Meanwhile, the Dachshund and the Beagle were at the gate, feeling miffed. So I put Badger back in the crate and gently shut the door, and promised her we'd play again tomorrow. I think I need to get out the exercise pen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, life just got interesting. I am down to 6 ratties from 8, but only temporarily.

On 26 July, I texted Tory, my Girls' breeder, about what I thought was a hernia on Ambrosia, my black self dumbo, who turned chocolate. Hence the name, for a very fine chocolate factory from Milwaukee. On 8/3, I mentioned that Ambrosia had suddenly put on a growth spurt. She was quite a bit larger than her sisters.

Well, this weekend, we had a dog show on Saturday, so the Girls' cage didn't get cleaned. That had to be on the agenda for first thing Sunday. First I caught the Girls and put them in the transfer cage. Can't risk one of them scampering away and getting caught by one of the dogs. I love my Harper Dachs, but he would kill them!

I noted again, as I did so that Ambrosia, the black self dumbo who turned chocolate-colored, was much larger than her sisters.

Removed the Wodent Wheels and cleaned them. Removed and cleaned the trays. Got down to the lowest level, picked up the space pod and noticed it felt heavy. I opened it to see what I needed to clean and discovered... a litter of baby rats!

Eek! Panic! Either one of my Girls WASN'T, or we'd had wild rats in through the dog door!

I hastily called Tory, the breeder that I got the Girls from. She offered to come get the babies, as she had a mama who gave birth about two days ago who had only 3 babies. When she arrived, I pulled out Ambrosia, and said, "IF there's a culprit, I think this one may be it." Tory and Chad looked at HIM and said, "Late bloomer. Happens now and again."

Tory determined who was Mama, and then looked the other Girls over. Ambrosius had been busy. Three more pregnant mamas to be. (Probably figured he was in hog-heaven -- nice big Critter Nation Double to roam, his own private harem of seven, plenty of food and treats, what more could a Guy Rat want?)

So. Fawn was one of the pregnant girls, and personality-wise, she just hasn't been working out. Tory brought Badger's half-sister, also a fawn-colored one, who was sweet as could be, so Fawn will remain with Tory and Faline will stay with me. She also brought a gray-silver one, whom she had named Bluebell as a replacement for Ambrosius.

The other two pregnant girls, Snow and Blaze, are going back with Tory, and once their litters are weaned, will come back to me. She texted me when she got home that Snow was in labor! Not sure what I am going to do if Badger and Zayta and possibly Gami are also pregnant! As Tori said, 12-15 weeks is a very late bloomer!

Well, now I know why there's been a bunch more eeping and cheeping from the girls the last couple days. Tory said the babies were no more than 48 hours old. (I always play with the Girls on the upper level so I had no idea they were there!)

It also explains why Harper has been having conniptions... he chewed through a wooden gate to reach the Rattie Cage. He is now much calmer, having determined that the eepers are gone.

Mama Smoke has taken Faline and Bluebell under her paw in lieu of her litter. I will be checking the other Girls in a week or so to determine just HOW busy Ambrosius as been!

There's something really nice about working with a proper breeder!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well, life just got interesting. I am down to 6 ratties from 8, but only temporarily.

On 26 July, I texted Tory, my Girls' breeder, about what I thought was a hernia on Ambrosia, my black self dumbo, who turned chocolate. Hence the name, for a very fine chocolate factory from Milwaukee. On 8/3, I mentioned that Ambrosia had suddenly put on a growth spurt. She was quite a bit larger than her sisters.

Well, this weekend, we had a dog show on Saturday, so the Girls' cage didn't get cleaned. That had to be on the agenda for first thing Sunday. First I caught the Girls and put them in the transfer cage. Can't risk one of them scampering away and getting caught by one of the dogs. I love my Harper Dachs, but he would kill them!

I noted again, as I did so that Ambrosia, the black self dumbo who turned chocolate-colored, was much larger than her sisters.

Removed the Wodent Wheels and cleaned them. Removed and cleaned the trays. Got down to the lowest level, picked up the space pod and noticed it felt heavy. I opened it to see what I needed to clean and discovered... a litter of baby rats!

Eek! Panic! Either one of my Girls WASN'T, or we'd had wild rats in through the dog door!

I hastily called Tory, the breeder that I got the Girls from. She offered to come get the babies, as she had a mama who gave birth about two days ago who had only 3 babies. When she arrived, I pulled out Ambrosia, and said, "IF there's a culprit, I think this one may be it." Tory and Chad looked at HIM and said, "Late bloomer. Happens now and again."

Tory determined who was Mama, and then looked the other Girls over. Ambrosius had been busy. Three more pregnant mamas to be. (Probably figured he was in hog-heaven -- nice big Critter Nation Double to roam, his own private harem of seven, plenty of food and treats, what more could a Guy Rat want?)

So. Fawn was one of the pregnant girls, and personality-wise, she just hasn't been working out. Tory brought Badger's half-sister, also a fawn-colored one, who was sweet as could be, so Fawn will remain with Tory and Faline will stay with me. She also brought a gray-silver one, whom she had named Bluebell as a replacement for Ambrosius.

The other two pregnant girls, Snow and Blaze, are going back with Tory, and once their litters are weaned, will come back to me. She texted me when she got home that Snow was in labor! Not sure what I am going to do if Badger and Zayta and possibly Gami are also pregnant! As Tori said, 12-15 weeks is a very late bloomer!

Well, now I know why there's been a bunch more eeping and cheeping from the girls the last couple days. Tory said the babies were no more than 48 hours old. (I always play with the Girls on the upper level so I had no idea they were there!)

It also explains why Harper has been having conniptions... he chewed through a wooden gate to reach the Rattie Cage. He is now much calmer, having determined that the eepers are gone.

Mama Smoke has taken Faline and Bluebell under her paw in lieu of her litter. I will be checking the other Girls in a week or so to determine just HOW busy Ambrosius as been!

There's something really nice about working with a proper breeder!
Wow, what a crazy story. I'm glad the breeder was happy to take them back and correct the issue though I can't help but feel like this could have been avoided. I was always extremely paranoid about rehoming litters and would check, double check, get someone else to check, etc. before I was satisfied that I was sending someone home with the right sex. Though, I suppose it becomes more of a task if you breed multiple litters at a time as I'm sure she does. I would have been so tempted to keep all of those bubs lol but you've already got your hands full, I'm sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, what a crazy story. I'm glad the breeder was happy to take them back and correct the issue though I can't help but feel like this could have been avoided. I was always extremely paranoid about rehoming litters and would check, double check, get someone else to check, etc. before I was satisfied that I was sending someone home with the right sex. Though, I suppose it becomes more of a task if you breed multiple litters at a time as I'm sure she does. I would have been so tempted to keep all of those bubs lol but you've already got your hands full, I'm sure.
Believe it or not, Tory had carefully checked them all before she brought her available girls for me to choose my Eight from! I guess we can be glad he DID choose to come to me, because imagine if he had suddenly bloomed out while in with 20 or so other girls!

It appears that Ambrosia/Ambrosius was a late bloomer, which does, I understand, happen from time to time. As I said, I know precisely when his testicles finally dropped because (cough) I thought "she" had developed a hernia! I wasn't looking for boys' equipment on my GIRL! Tory was pretty amazed -- she says it DOES happen (late blooming) but usually, it's 5-6 weeks, and Ambrosius waited to 12-13 weeks! And then got at least four of my Girls pregnant.

Wow, was it a shock when I picked up the space pod and found 9 little less-than-48-hours-old babies in it!

And I'm having the uneasy suspicion that my sweetest girl, Badger, may be pregnant. Guess I'll know in a week or so!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have been so tempted to keep all of those bubs lol but you've already got your hands full, I'm sure.
With 8, I have my hands full. I would have had room for a few more in the Critter Nation Double, but I absolutely do not have space for another cage in order to keep males and females separate. Smoke had 9 babies, Tory just texted me that Snow had 10 babies, and we're still waiting to see what Fawn and Blaze have. As well as whether or not Mr. Busy Ambrosius got Badger, Zora, and Gami. And maybe got Smoke a second time! One lady I know who also breeds said a rat lady can get pregnant again within 48 hours of giving birth!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
With 8, I have my hands full. I would have had room for a few more in the Critter Nation Double, but I absolutely do not have space for another cage in order to keep males and females separate. Smoke had 9 babies, Tory just texted me that Snow had 10 babies, and we're still waiting to see what Fawn and Blaze have. As well as whether or not Mr. Busy Ambrosius got Badger, Zora, and Gami. And maybe got Smoke a second time! One lady I know who also breeds said a rat lady can get pregnant again within 48 hours of giving birth!
I think I remember reading somewhere that it can be even less time than that >.< If that is the case though, I'm sure the breeder will have a surrogate on hand which would really be the best option since pregnancy while nursing can be extremely hard on a rat (never witnessed it myself, but I can imagine based on seeing girls with large litters look like their about to keel over from exhaustion).

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is my idea of a real horror story. I can only wish you and your girls (and Ambrosius) all the best of luck and health.

I do wish I was close enough to offer homes to a couple of the boys.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know! I'd take a few if you were close.

But I suppose the breeder probably wants all the oopsies for her own lines. : )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts