Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't talked about this on here previously due to the fact that i was being naive and selfish about the situation. Now I have finally come to a conclusion, and it is by far a bad one.
OP my hairless male of unknown age, has been decreasing in weight over the last few weeks. He's been acting relatively normal, he's still eating and such, but his weight is almost skeletal, and he seems very dehydrated as of today, the elasticity in his skin is dismal. I have spoken with many a vet, and no one seems to know what it is, I've come to the conclusion that his body is shutting down from the inside. Tomorrow is going to be one of the hardest days ever because I've made the appointment to have him humanely euthanized. I've prolonged this for too long, and hes been suffering and now i feel guilty but i have to make it better for him. Now that I have that decided and its already ruining my tomorrow, I have to face Hotshot's face when I come home that afternoon without his bestest buddy. As if its not heart breaking enough right? How am I supposed to cheer him up? I have fosters from the SPCA here, there are 4 little males and i've had them for 3 weeks and there are no visible health hazards concerning any of them? Would it be okay to allow them to "mingle" if you will lol? I just don't want this to be any harder for Hot Shot than it has to be.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
aw im so sorry, do you mean take them out of QT? i think 3 weeks is long enough for QT are you sure your boy doesnt just have a skin condition? im sorry bout him :'(

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My boy jake has a skin condition (he's hairless too) and it's caused him to lose a LOT of weight.

The thing about him is, I've noticed, they lose weight quickly but you can build it back up just as fast.

Have you noticed any dry skin, blotching, excess scratching? All can be signs of a problem.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, he doesn't have anything of that sort, but his breathing is laboured, and he has some sort of eye infection all of a sudden, and when he looks up at me hes just like saying a blank "help me" type thing, he isnt happy anymore.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
It seems it is far easier to intro the young males to the older male... I'd say give it a try. Seems kind of fortunate that you have the right sex that have had the right amount of time to ensure their health all in place when you had to make this very difficult choice. I know this because I have seen that same look. They do let us know when it is time.

My heart goes out to you. Just keep in mind, OP will have many wonderful rats to play with across the bridge.

Big hugs for you today

1 - 5 of 5 Posts