Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, about halfway through building it. I got what will be the second floor blocked off for now, I gotta get to sleep. It is now 5 am and I've been building since 10ish. here are initial pics of a VERY undecorated one...but it will do for the night...enjoy!

13/58 panels done...

getting closer

getting ready for bed and exploring the new digs...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kinda makes me wish I hadn't spent $90 on a new cage. Oh well.

I like it, but do you have a problem with pee soaking through the fleece? That would be my main concern.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ooh, I love how the whole front opens... Yes, how are you attatching down the fabric? Because I'm thinking about redoing my cage, and using zipties for my girls, but I know that if they get even a whiff of a chance they'll be burrowing and going to the bathroom underneath the fleece...

But it looks nice! I understand that you're not done? Can't wait to see the monster when it's all finished!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, so far, attaching the fleece is not easy...I have three different ideas, all three have failed, as Emile seems to only be happy if he is burrowing under the fleece....but we'll see.

I should have the other half done today. All said and done, its total measurements will be 40x24x24, enough for 6 rats. I am modeling it completely after the ferret nation, just a little smaller, and with the shelves at the back instead of the side (for better stability.)

Captain, just be warned that this is NOWHERE near as easy as the connectors. With the connectors, I had a cage built in around an hour. Zip ties...well....seven hours for half of it. With the little zip ties, you have problems of them breaking, they have trouble fitting through some of the holes, lots of mess. Also, make DOUBLY sure that you have the zip ties going through connectors that are as even as possible...I have a little unevenness on some parts because of this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally!! It is done! Well, sans the majority of the decorating anyway. It's livable until I get some friggin sleep...lol. Anyway, the guys went from this

To this

And finally to this!!

Bottom:

Top:

And an example of the total height...i'm 6'

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Lol make me one any day of the week
looking good :)
Jess

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wow.. that is freaking incredible! You should make a "How To" sheet!

Hehe, I'd love to make something like that! In fact.. May I request a "How To" sheet?:p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Wow, it's huge!
As for the pulling of the fleece, this just came to me. Are your boys big chewers? Because I thought it might work to make little loops out of zip ties on the inside of the cage, and then clip the fabric down to that... But if they're chewy, then it might be an instant fail.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Neuroticax said:
Wow.. that is freaking incredible! You should make a "How To" sheet!

Hehe, I'd love to make something like that! In fact.. May I request a "How To" sheet?:p
I don't think a "How To" Sheet is really neccessary...lol. It was pretty simple. Just two zip ties per side that will be connecting to another panel., and keep going until you have a cage. lol...very simple, just time consuming, and painful.

CaptainFlow said:
Wow, it's huge!
As for the pulling of the fleece, this just came to me. Are your boys big chewers? Because I thought it might work to make little loops out of zip ties on the inside of the cage, and then clip the fabric down to that... But if they're chewy, then it might be an instant fail.
Hmm....didn't think of that...my boys are NOT chewers at all...I just bought a board that i as going to wrap the fabric around and safety pin it on the bottom and put the board in there...but I can't do that for he second level...hmmm....that might just be the answer...I'll give it a shot and let you know!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow, that's an amazing cage!! How much did it cost you all together for the materials to make it?

Deb

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not including decorations....it was $45 for the mesh, 2 bucks for 150 small zip ties, and thats it! Unless you count the layers of skin I spent on the all those zip ties...lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dingosm8 said:
Wow. Great job rat macgyver.
Does the extra room mean more rats to come?
At first, I was thinking no...but...I dunno...it is VERY tempting...but not sure how the family would take it...lol

Oh, and pics decorated!!

And one of Remy falling asleep on the ladder...lazy bub...

·
Registered
465 Posts
LOL .. easy to you because you're very handy! :p I.. on the other hand.. lol am not so handy.

Material list, maybe? Store you got the products from? .. lol Why can I see myself trying something like this and ending up with a big pile of.. something weird. LOL

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only materials I used where the mesh cubes from Target (if they don't have them, try Linens-n-things), three boxes. And small zip ties from wal mart, three bags. That was it!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ohh, cool! I'll probably attempt something like that within the year.. maybe get my design right first. LOL

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm really impressed at how the finished product looks! Isn't it amazing the positions these guys can fall asleep in? I looked at the picture of Remi sleeping at the bottom of the ladder and wondered how he could have gotten himself in that position, much less decided it was comfortable enough to sleep that way :p

bloodraven said:
The only materials I used where the mesh cubes from Target
I was at Target Thursday and they appear to have replenished their selection of mesh cubes. They had several colors too, pink, red, blue, white and purple that I remmember but I don't recall seeing black :? I wasn't buying any for myself, and I had a screaming child with me (yes, I was that person) so I didn't check the size or number of panels etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts