Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So a couple of you may remember me from the weekend. I recently lost my 2 years old hooded Arnold. He was my first to lose and i am still heart broken.

I currently still have my 2 year old albino Marley. He's a little beauty :)

So I have been advised it is a good idea to look into getting babies for Marley's new companions so he isn't lonely. Now this will be a first to me, At first I couldn't even think about it after Arnold but now I think it might actually cheer me and Marley up after the way I lost Arnold (I had to watch his practically paralysed for hours, slowly getting colder and then having a seizure before he passed, was awful and out of hours so no vets open).

I have read a lot about the introductions of rats, it seems a lot better than I thought although if for some reason Marley doesn't take, he can stay in his own cage as I am getting another for them all to live in if all goes well. I am looking for a breeder at the moment and struggling! But, I was going to get 2 babies males. Then I thought about 3, would 3 new babies be a bit too much for Marley to handle? Am I best off getting just the 2?

One idiot told me he would eat the babies so I started really panicking but I've had some lovely people on here help me out and explain that it's absoloutle rubbish! All tips and help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
He wont eat them.

First off you need to quarantine them. Put them in separate rooms if you can just to be sure neither is sick and going to infect the other. If after a couple weeks everyone looks healthy then put them in the same room near each other but let them out for free time separately. If you can put the cages in the free play area so that they can see/smell each other but with the safety of the bars to protect against fighting. When you're ready to do the intros do it in a neutral location, somewhere your older one wont be territorial about and somewhere small that you can easily control. (bath tub, large cardboard box, sofa, kitchen table, etc...) Wear gloves just in case you need to break up a fight. Some recommend bathing them first, or at least wiping them down with wipes, and then putting a strong sent on all of their backs like vanilla or tuna juice. We've done two intros without that and they went fine, so I'd only do that if your first attempt fails. (it can be messy and sticky)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.