Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
RIP Biscuit, Bandit, Sage, Mink, & Shadow
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mink and Shadow were my first rats, accident litter boys off Trade Me. Mink was always the dominant one and Shadow was the shy, cautious boy, though very smart and trusting. They went everywhere on holidays with us, lived in a big cage, got fed good food and free roamed often... Yet Shadow still fell ill. On his first birthday I was calling them to give them some battered fish. Mink came up and snatched the food, but Shadow didn't come. I found him in a box, blood on the floor, with paraphimosis. My parents are vets - they did what they could and I went to bed with dread in my stomach. My mom stayed up all night with Shadow - that's the it way we could stop him chewing his stitches. I stayed home that day and sat with him. In the morning he was good, and we were hopeful, but as they day continued his health declined. As the day drew to a close I had to make the final decision. He was in so much pain and it had gotten so bad... So that evening we euthanized him at home. Before that I let Mink see him - I think he knew Shadow was sick... He became incredibly depressed as Shadow was his brother and only friend. Every evening my dad would sit with him, massage him, and feed him. While Shadow was sick I had found some baby rats online, and we arranged to pick up two about a month after Shadow had died. To this day I regret not getting three, but what's done is done. Mink was so happy to meet the babies and intros went smoothly. The babies' names were Bandit and Biscuit and they are still around today. For many months they were happy and lived a good life in their huge cage. But when he was 1.5-2yrs old, Mink started developing HLD. I thought it was fine, didn't really change up anything in my cage, but then again it's fine until it's not. One day I realized it had become very bad - he couldn't even walk properly anymore. I drastically changed his cage to make it easier for him. He spent more time sleeping, and Bandit and Biscuit sort drew away from him. Eventually we put him on Metacam and there was a small improvement. One morning my mom came to me and said that she thought it was time. And it was. That day we drove to my dad's vet clinic, Mink snuggled under a blanket on my lap. He passed away peacefully at 9:45am, held by loving hands. I cried more over him than I had over any pet or human's passing before.

RIP Shadow, my sweet little boy, and RIP Mink, my heart rat.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story. The joy, the worry, the anguish, the love... made me tear up thinking about what you and your boys went through. I also cried more for my dog Watson when we had to put him to sleep. Cancer. Almost a year ago, and I still cry when I think of him.

RIP Shadow and Mink, you are truly missed.

·
Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
628 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story. The joy, the worry, the anguish, the love... made me tear up thinking about what you and your boys went through. I also cried more for my dog Watson when we had to put him to sleep. Cancer. Almost a year ago, and I still cry when I think of him.

RIP Shadow and Mink, you are truly missed.
Losing a pet is never easy. My Rhodesian Ridgeback named Chester also had to be put to sleep because he had cancer, so I understand.

MinkShadow -
Your boys lived a wonderful life, and they are in a better place now. You did everything you could and I applaud you. Rest in peace beautiful boys 😢

·
Registered
865 Posts
I cried harder over losing my pets then over any human, RIP Mink and Shadow.

Reactions: Tinytoes
1 - 5 of 5 Posts