Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two brand new baby rats have the sneezles. It was to be expected, as the pet store kept them on pine in 10 gallon aquariums with no ventilation other than what a wire topper gives, which isn't much. :(

Anyways, Dust has a bit of porphyrin which I didn't notice until I was holding both of them on my lap just several minutes ago... I wiped it off her nose and she went back to exploring the mystical wonders of the couch.

She doesn't sneeze as much as Gohma, but I have yet to notice any porphyrin on Gohma. I know porphyrin can be caused by stress, and as it's their first day here I'm trying hard as a new mother not to panic about it. The frequent sneezles really worry me though.. not to mention Gohma keeps one eye kind of squinted, as if it has something in it. Both her eyes are clear and crust-free, however.

First thing tomorrow I'm calling 3 different rat vets in the area to see if any of them can schedule me in for an appointment the same day.

I'm basically just posting here in hopes that something will ease my worrying until I can get them to the vet. Is frequent sneezing common during stressful times too? Is it possible that Gohma is simply keeping her eye squinted because she poked it with a whisker when she and Dust were wrestling? I may have just brought them home only 10 hours ago, but I've already really bonded with them both and I'd be crushed if either of them died.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, Gohma also makes a strange noise when I hold her and sometimes when she grooms herself too. I don't know if it's her breathing or if she's grinding her teeth. I held her up to my ear, but I'm still unsure.. She makes the noise off and on.

Dust grinds her teeth, and it kind of sounds like that, but at the same time it sounds different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts