Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'd be extremely wary of this.
Mites are so tiny, the other may still be infected. :c

I'd go on a rescue mission and get them all. Poor babies.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Symptoms of excessive mites are generally presented as inflammation of the skin and an increased need to scratch. In rare cases, the irritation and itching can be severe enough that a rat will scratch its skin until there is an abrasion, creating an environment in which a skin infection can occur. Mites appear as white specks under the fur, near the follicle of the hair on the skin -- often on the shoulders, neck, and face of affected rats. The only way to really tell is by using a microscope since mites are so tiny.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I talked to them and she said they saw them in little clusters so now they are treating them with cat shampoo

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
If the store has mites, most likely all of the rats have mites. If you don't have any rats or mice at home yet, you can buy the rat or rats you like and treat them with revolution, if you already have rodents at home, you will be bringing mites into your house and will need to do a very strict quarantine or and most likely have to treat everyone.

Also wash your hands and change your clothes after handling any pet shop rats, you can carry the mites home on your person.

Best luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the store has mites, most likely all of the rats have mites. If you don't have any rats or mice at home yet, you can buy the rat or rats you like and treat them with revolution, if you already have rodents at home, you will be bringing mites into your house and will need to do a very strict quarantine or and most likely have to treat everyone.

Also wash your hands and change your clothes after handling any pet shop rats, you can carry the mites home on your person.

Best luck.
I do have two rats already, I quarantined the new one upstairs behind a sealed door and a bathroom door so its pretty far away. But the girl at the pet store said they didn't have mites and that they saw a cluster of them on the infected rats so that's how they knew. Idk why they would lie about that . unless they aren't mites but something else.
How can I tell if my new rat has mites ? I don't have money to spare on something she might not have.

Also can these infect humans ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
From what I've read they can bite you but they can not live on yo for long. So if you treat the rats then they should go away.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new rat hasn't scratched herself once since I got her, not that I've seen anyway, she just stays in the corner in the litter box the whole time and doesn't move when I pet her. So I don't think she has mites

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If there are any animals in the house/shop that have mites it's very likely that the others will too (unless the shop people wash hands and change clothes after everytime they go near the infected ones. Are they going to treat the infected ones by the way?? I hope so..). If they said they saw a "cluster" of mites on the rats, poor babies, it's not mites since you can't see mites. It's probably lice or maybe even fleas.

BUT mites/lice are very easy to treat if you use Revolution (cat or kitten. They have the same amount of meds in them, but the cat tubes are bigger) and give 1-2 drops directly onto the skin and wait for it to dry completely before putting the rats back. If you just ask your vet for cat or kitten revolution, they should give it to you. Don't use other brands of flea meds though, some brands can kill your rats. Revolution is safe.

If you take home the new babies, I would treat the new babies and ALL the pets you have in your house. Even if animals don't show signs of mites yet like scabs and scratching, they could still have it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much does it usually cost? My mom doesn't like all the money we have to spend on them

At the pet store they said they were treating them with cat shampoo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts