Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Im new here, and I realized I have yet to contribute a photo of my current mischief. Ive had rats in the past (been taking care of rats for little over 4 years) but currently I own four female rats, all at various ages and personalities and I love each and every one of them! They also have plant themed names (I love doing theme names) so hence, the plant mischief.

First up is Lily, my 10 month old feeder bin rat. She came with a cagemate Daisy, who ended up passing away shockingly early at 5 months. I know feeders breed mostly for quantity not quality so I accepted that something could potentially happen as such, and then thats when we get Willow who will be featured later.
Lily is one of my sweetest rats, which is surprising because when i got her she was my most timid. I did hours and hours of trust training and immersions with her and she started to come out of her shell when we were both grieving for Daisy. And then after that the following months are just her as a whole new rat. She follows me around when shes out of the cage, sits on my shoulder and loves to sit on my lap for scritches. She also has a uncanny habit of crawling into my shirt as well!!

Next up we have Willow, my 7 month old rat. I got her at 3 months from a friends friend actually. She had surrendered Willow to a small local pet store that we knew of, and we went there to get her. We were unsure how Willow and Lily would react and followed intros carefully but they were snuggling in the hammock the first night we got them! Willow is much more on the rounder side, I definitely watch her weight compared to the other girls. She's also the alpha of the mischief, which surprised me because Lily would push Daisy around but I guess Willow won that over her. Shes a big food lover too, and if I have any sort of wrapper that crinkles, or any indication of food, shes the first one to run up to me! She also is by far the most destructive and is the reason I have several holes in my carpeting. I also never quite figured out what color/markings she had. The others im pretty spot on about but shes always confused me.

Next up we have Petunia, who wouldnt sit still in her photo so the only good shot I got of her was her squished up in one of her favorite hiding places which is on top of her hide. Shes 4 months old when I adopted her from the same local pet store that I got Willow at, with her sister Ivy, and shes probably one of the most dramatic rats i've ever known. She'll constantly follow the older girls around and pounce on them or would ping off of them, but if they turned around to chase her back she'd take off squealing to hide up on my lap. Shes also one of the more docile babies ive owned, and oddly enough when i pick her up she tucks her hind feet close to her stomach which is something ive never seen any of my other rats do. She has a small nick in her ear too, she got scratched accidentally by Willow during one of their first intros. I kept her seperate in a older smaller cage until it healed and re tried after but the nick is a permanent reminder of how stressful that intro was between the two young ones and older ones.

Last but not least we have Ivy. Also 4 months, and shes the definition of a little spider rat. Shes always climbing everywhere she can get up to, and her favorite perches have become the top of the ladder that I have in the cage, or the highest hammock. If shes free roaming she loves to climb to the top of the cage or even balance on my beds headboard and run back and forth on it for fun. Shes the most skittish currently, and im working patiently with her every day to gain her trust and we've made good progress. Shes also one to follow the rest of the bunch. If the other three are climbing up over me or running to the cage to greet me then Ivy will be tailing right behind them. And if they climb up somewhere then shes jumping right along after them. Really funny to see how the mischiefs dynamic changes her personality sometimes. Also shes funnily enough, the only top eared rat in the group next to her dumbo eared cagemates.

Well theres my little mischief, each with their own personality to boot. Its really amusing to see just how different one rat might be from their cagemate and also the dynamic of having different rats all with different ages and personality types bonded together and living together as one mischief. Hope you all enjoy!

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
92 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story! Love the names. My human daughter is named Ivy :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts