Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is getting close to Christmas when im getting my rats, so we are soon to be ordering a cage. I am thinking about the Rat Skyscraper (R-695) Do you think this will be good for 2 young female rats?

It says i can buy it Galvanized for $92, or Power-Coated for $114
What is the difference between Galvanized and Power-Coated? I want to buy the better one.

Check it out and tell me what you think :D http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's a nice cage, but go with the powder-coated, as the galvanized absorbs urine and your cage will start to permanently stink. And add the flip top for $10. From what I've heard people never regret getting the flip top (and if you never use it, $10 isn't that much of a loss!).

If you don't mind a little bit of extra work, and have the room, the Ferret Nation Cage model 141 might be in your price range.

http://www.ferret.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=630303

For females you would have to put hardware cloth over the bars, as they are wide enough for them to slip through, and you'd have to use fleece for bedding as the pans aren't very deep.

It's so important to research cages (as all of the other rat stuff you've been learning about!). I'm so glad you're thinking this through!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yes, power coated in Martin's is ALWAYS best. Many of us like getting the flip-top as well, I'd never do without it. Also, the door on the bottom of the 698 make it not easy to get to the shelf... Many suggest doing a custom order and getting the ferret-sized doors.

It would make a super-lovely home for 2 females. Lots of room and if you get a touch of GGMR, you could add 3 more. ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
martins cages are great!
i have a powder coated R-685 with the flip top lid and me & my ratties are happy with it.
i'm definitely going to get a ferret nation in a few years though..and more rats! ;]

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys. Ya im going to get the flip top and power coated. Yes i will use fleece as bedding.
Can i use fleece to put over the levels too?

I checked out that cage you said lostbutnotforgot, its kinda little compared to the R-695.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
AustinXAPMX3 said:
Hey thanks guys. Ya im going to get the flip top and power coated. Yes i will use fleece as bedding.

I checked out that cage you said lostbutnotforgot, its kinda little compared to the R-695.
It's bigger. ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
AustinXAPMX3 said:

The FN is actually larger, I have a FN and I absolutely love it! It is the easiest cage in the world to clean

-according to the ratty corner calculator the FN can hold 9 rat. I personally would never put that many in that small a space.

-the R-695 can hold 5 max on the same calculator :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
glindella said:
AustinXAPMX3 said:

The FN is actually larger, I have a FN and I absolutely love it! It is the easiest cage in the world to clean

-according to the ratty corner calculator the FN can hold 9 rat. I personally would never put that many in that small a space.

-the R-695 can hold 5 max on the same calculator :)
6 in the FN, I think.

The shelf doesn't count. :lol:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya but il only have 2 rats. And can you buy the FN power-coated?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
AustinXAPMX3 said:
Ya but il only have 2 rats. And can you buy the FN power-coated?
The wire is already coated. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and plus il probabaly end of getting 1 more anyways, after a little bit :D...... :roll: :roll: Maybe more lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Forensic said:
AustinXAPMX3 said:

It's bigger. ;)
Actually, the R-695 is the bigger of the two ;). I persoanlly have the R-695, and leave it at my parent's place for visits home on holidays. I love it, even after 2 and a half years. The FN replaced it as my main cage, but mainly because cleaning is easier in the FN, and I'm a major cage 'ho!

Ignore the clutter in the background... we leave the cage in the basement at my parents place, rather than haul it up three flights of stairs for the two days that I'm home. They will be in my bedroom over the christmas holidays though :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that the R-695! Its very spacey. How did you get it in black, did it just come like that? Because in the picture it shows it silver. I want mine black! lol :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Black is the powdercoated version ;). There is LOTS of space. It's suited for 5 rats, but when I visit my parents I end up having to squeeze 8 in there *hides face*.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YAY ive already planned on getting the power-coated version. YES IL GET THE CAGE IN BLACK! :D lol i think the silver is ugly.

Oh and by the way where can i get fleece?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh good, I hate the silver too :D.

I get my fleece at a local fabric store chain. I know JoAnns is all through the US, but if that fails you can try Walmart. You'll pay more at walmart though :p

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya i dont like the silver either. Ya i was thinking walmart or something like that. Thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Just to let you know... Martin's R-695's are often on backorder and I'd think, especially this time of year. You may want to order the cage sooner rather than later if you hope to have rats by Christmas. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The FN 142 is the big one that holds many rats but if you have young or small rats they will slip through the bars.

ferret.com sells this cage for 154.95 & they have a flat rate shipping fee of 6.95... so cruise around the site & see if there is anything else you want before you finalize the order, the 6.95 covers it all

1 - 20 of 30 Posts