Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
My Margot is showing signs of what I believe to be a pituitary tumour. She has a mammary tumor as well that popped up about 2 weeks ago but it is small and doesn't seem to bother her yet. She is about 2 years, 2 months old now so I figured that and her becoming clumsy was a normal part of aging. Unfortunately it progressed quickly, last Wednesday or so I noticed she was more lethargic and was very subtly favouring one of her paws - now she does not use that one at all. She has a lot of trouble holding and eating her food. I have been feeding her baby food and mushed up lab blocks but she has been eating less and less. When out of her cage, I hold her and she will lay and sleep on me (strange as she is not a cuddler), and when she tries to drag herself around she frequently goes for the edge of the chair and (attempts to) fall off like she doesn't know or care about the depth. The one time she did fall (only about a foot) she just laid on her side like a rag doll and didn't try to get up. She can't effectively clean herself and just tumbles over, but me wiping her down doesn't seem to satisfy her. All she does is sleep, brux loudly (I assume it's not happy), and wander around the cage seeming confused of where she is going. She also has constant poryphrin around her eyes which is very unusual for her.

It sounds to me like it's time to have her pts (I was hoping she'd pass away peacefully on her own but it's been days and nothing's happened). What do you think? Does it sound like she is suffering enough to warrant me having her put down?

Bonus question:
Her cage mate will be alone after she is put to sleep. It would be unwise for me to get more rats right now to keep her company because of my living situation (not supposed to have rats there and the landlord is coming around unannounced more often now) and it would be most convenient for me to have her re-homed, but she's getting up there in age too.. I am really worried that she will not adjust well to the new home and/or she will not go to a good enough place. What would you do in my situation?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Your question is one without a simple answer... We've had a couple of rats become pretty disabled before they passed away on their own. Yes their quality of life does deteriorate, but it becomes a judgment call.... A vet visit to see if there is anything to do might be wise before you misdiagnose something that can be treated...

Fuzzy Rat did public appearances for about a month after she couldn't walk anymore.. She would nap in the clovers on warm spring days, munching tiny weeds and still give children kisses while we held her. She would ask to be picked up and point to where she wanted to go, her roommate Amelia groomed her and we lifted her to her food and water. She was far from the rat that once swung in the tree tops, swam in the lake and walked and ran at heel for hours... and she faded in and out sometimes, but she still had her moments of clarity and seemed to enjoy being with us or napping in her secret nests and in her cage and she enjoyed her favorite foods... She was brave and sweet to the end... She snipped her last phone wire, munched a grape, groomed my lips one last time, said good night to my daughter and quietly passed away in her cage around 5:00 AM and she was gone... Amelia passed away after a few days of congestive heart failure after climbing up to on my shoulder one last time... I felt her heart slow and then just stop... but there were many close and affectionate moments during those last days too...

I suppose there's a good argument for not prolonging a rats suffering, with the two rats I mentioned there were both good and bad times, where the good outweighed the bad until nature took it's course, but in your case you have to make the call as you see it.

As to your other rat, I personally couldn't part with a dear furry friend, so I can't give you any real advise when it comes to re-homing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Margot was PTS on Monday and I think it was the right thing to do. The vet agreed with me that it was probably a pituitary tumour - she noticed one of her eyes protruding as if something was pushing it from behind. :(

My remaining rat will probably end up with a new sibling soon. I don't know if I could bear to part with her at this point, even if it means trouble with my housing situation..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the response. Margot was PTS on Monday and I think it was the right thing to do. The vet agreed with me that it was probably a pituitary tumour - she noticed one of her eyes protruding as if something was pushing it from behind. :(

My remaining rat will probably end up with a new sibling soon. I don't know if I could bear to part with her at this point, even if it means trouble with my housing situation..
I'm sorry for your loss :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts