Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I noticed a very strong urine smell in the room. I had just cleaned the cage last night so found it hard to believe it got that rank so fast. So I spent some time picking up varies bedding and toys and sniffing...nada. Then I realize it's all coming from Goose and a few of the babies. Not all, just like 4 of em. It's potent to extreme, like they were swimming in a pool of urine. I really don't want to bath anyone. First off the babies are still to young for me to feel comfortable with it and it's really important to me to be a the hands of all things good-bathing I doubt would rate high in their books of things good. None of my girls like to really get wet. Sure some washing of our hands, maybe cupping some for a face splash, a tail dunk is good-full body wet is yuck as far as they are concerned.

We wiped Goose down with a baby wipe, and it did a decent temporary fix..and when I say temporary..I mean like 10 minutes. Anyone have a good ideas? The smell is bad, and they are sticky. And why are they peeing on their mother and 4 of their brothers and sisters? I know rats do a little marking and have seen this..but this is like they all held it and let loose when they meet up with the 5 now smelly rats. Might explain why I haven't seen much for wet/sticky places when cleaning the cage...ugh. Some kind of dig box perhaps that has some kind of anti pee substrate?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Are the rats pee smelling or is the rat smellin of pee?

If they are bein peed on they're probably smaller or lazier or just meeker. Peeing on mom is just because she's an adult to practice these behaviors on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, they are smellin of pee. Any idea's of helping with the smell? And yes you are right -it's the 4 smallest that are getting peed on.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Do you have any ferret descenting spray? It's safe with rats so I'd give them a spritz.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, good idea. thank you I've got the herbal one. I'll try that...maybe baby wipe first to get some sticky off. for some reason, this part of the growing up process I was not prepared for. :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
They'll get over peeing soon, probably 3 wks recently right? By 5 they should be done with the novelty of it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about a little less than two weeks and time to celebrate! I have never smelled rat pee so strongly before. but then I never normally snuggle with pee stuff and wipe it on my face.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts