Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introducing: Sharpie, (black)Magic, and Rogaine!

Rat Mammal Chinchilla Muridae Rodent Mammal Vertebrate Rat Muridae Chinchilla Rat Muridae Animal shelter Snout Rodent Vertebrate Mammal Rodent Rat Muridae

My three newest squishes. They are seven weeks old today. Their parents are rescued feeders. I was supposed to get 3 boys, and ended up with 2 boys and a pregnant girl. I couldn't be happier with my little oops babies. Its especially rewarding to have such friendly little guys around when their mom and dad(s) have so many issues to overcome. The boys are already a bunch of lazy bones. Its fun to see their personalities develop.
Sharpie is the furry with white feet (and belly but thee pics don't show that). He is my wild-child and big explorer. He is the only one who will play wrestle with my hand and he popcorns around like crazy!
Magic is solid black furry. He is Sharpies shadow. He's more mellow but he is not to be outdone in the exploring dept. Last week he got himself into the wall vent and hid there to chew his cheerio. I, of course, panicked and tried to coax him out. But "No, mom! I'm having fun!" I ended up having to unscrew the vent from the wall because I couldn't take it. The vent is covered with mesh now…
Little Rogaine is the double rex. He is sweet as pie and is my cuddler. He never want to wrestle and gets offended if it try to play too rough. He just wants loves and food.

They also have 2 sisters who have gone to a lovely new home with my cousin and his toddler son who loves the girlies very much. They haven't chosen names for the girls yet because the kiddo just wants to call them both "baby rat". haha.

As for the adult ratties: Mom, Nox, grew to be pretty good with me while the pups were little, She never minded me touching them as long as she got to explore. I used this to my advantage too much while I focused solely on socializing the babies. Nox regressed a bit because she didnt have to interact with me too much. Now she will tolerate being picked up, but only for very brief periods of time. She acts like she's just too busy to bother with people.
The boy who's most likely the dad is "King Charming". Char for short. He's a massive male. He used to screech at being touched, but has come a long way. He won't willingly sit with me for too long, but he will come sniff around at me. And he doesn't object to being picked up unless I accidentally startle him. He's turning from a fearful bully into a soft-hearted squish. Its so rewarding because he was by far most damaged when I got him. (I'm assuming he was a rejected meal…)
The other male is Lumos. He is very curious, but very wary of me. I can pick him up sometimes, and other times he screams. He doesn't want to be touched by me if he can help it. And the worst part is that he doesn't even trust other rats. When they got home I think the huge cage was too overwhelming for Char and then he lost Nox when I realized she wasn't a he. His poor mind couldn't handle it. He took his fear out on Lumos and attacked him until I finally had to separate the two. When I put Lumos back into his cage after removing Char, he searched all around looking very wary for a long time. So they are living solo right now.
The good news is that the babies are finally getting big enough to meet their elders. The first intro was tonight with all 5 males. They all played very well, but Lumos was very skittish. They were together for about an hour with only 1 minor scuffle. It was funny and sad to see the fully grown rats watch and follow the much more confident/fearless babies to see what was safe. It will be some time before they all live together, if ever, but I'm so glad to see all my kids looking happy!

Sorry long post is long :/

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh! And of course, here are pics of the adult rats!

Nox being a good shoulder-rider for all of 3 seconds.
Mammal Vertebrate Rat Rodent Muridae

King Char is not photogenic apparently...
Mammal Vertebrate Marsupial Snout Organism

Lumos didn't want to come out so I didn't press him too much, but I did tempt him with cheerios.
Mammal Vertebrate Rat Rodent Chinchilla
He needs a bath. He's all buck grease-y.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts