Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8O Okay...my two boys groom way too hard and I have noticed that Bob is going bald! AHHH! Jays is too but not nearly as much as Bob. Jay is always grooming Bobs chest and Bob is always grooming Jays back. So now Bob's chest and front legs are hairless...Has anyone had this problem before?
lol my poor babies! Its rather odd. Poor Bob! :cry: Its not bothering him or anything just to let everyone know, there is no irritaion, nothing like that...just BALD!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
its called power grooming. its part of asserting dominance and that status will often flucuate. but it doesn't cause any health problems. they may not be ready to strut on the cat walk but their happy in their patchy bliss.

however, having said that, make sure that it is grooming that is causing the hair loss. an excess of protein or mites can cause hair loss as well though typically accompained by scabs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
another posibilty is that there was a hairless rat in their heritage. it does not always happen from birth. i have seen plenty of litters from a hairless female and a normal male and all are born with hair but at around 6 months some of them start to loose it. it is not total loss but just enough to be noticable

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Thanks everyone...I figured it was from grooming to hard. I get some pictures up of "baldy" Bob LMAO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts