Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually don't like ranting about things unless it's to my close friends, but they don't really care about this matter and I thought maybe someone on here would

Over the past couple months I've been going through the process of getting a "therapy animal". This involves the start up cost, getting things (I don't have a car so it's even more difficult), researching what animal is best, researching about that animal, filling out the paperwork, attaining a doctors note, and then finally getting the animal.
My roommate is allergic to cats so that forced me to look into other options; and I happily chose rats.
I joined this forum because I found an adoption post that I really wanted to inquire about, & it just so happens that she's just a state over. It seemed like it was meant to be!
Now we all know why rats should be kept in pairs or groups, and considering that it wouldn't take up much more space I didn't think it would pose a problem to the university for me to get two rats instead of just one.

Turns out it may be a problem after all. Despite me explaining that the main reason for me getting a pet is for depression and then obviously not wanting my pet to have to go through that as well, I was pushed toward getting just one. It isn't official yet, I'll know by the end of next week, but the thought that my university is being so stingy about a matter (& animal) this small and for the reasons I have just seems like someone really needs something else to do at their job than monitor who gets what pet to help with their disability or disorder.

That's all :mad:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm not sure if your paperwork is different but on the paperwork I had to fill out, it clearly stated that the animal's emotional needs had to be met while being kept in the dorms. For rats that means getting them a friend. Try to get it in writing from a veterinarian. In your therapist note have them specifically mention that you have TWO ESA's and that they are BOTH absolutely necessary to your well being. Have the therapist list specific things that each individual rat helps you with. Try to avoid the term "therapy animal" as they are different than emotional support animals and don't get the same rights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the tips!! My therapist and disability coordinator are including things on having both, I'm just worried that housing won't care. They're notorious for being asses. But despite hearing horror stories they've always been helpful to me. So fingers crossed i guess!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The woman I'm getting them from actually just suggested that! lol
Really kind of want two different looking girls though. But thank you for the support!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would definitely fight to keep two, otherwise, what's the point? A depressed ESA isn't going to provide you with the emotional support that a happy ESA would. I know there was someone else posting about this not too long ago, so I hope everyone gets this figured out!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just a suggestion but what about a rabbit? I have an active thread going about them and someone said they don't necessarily need companions since they're not as social as rats. Still would definitely fight for the rats but if it comes down to it possible the rabbit...?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Rabbits can cause a lot of allergies in people to, and they need hay which can cause allergies. If the roomate is allergic to cats there is a chance she could be allergic to rabbits or hay as well, or become allergic. They arn't usually as attention seeking as rats either. Depends on the kind of companion needed. I reallly hope they get it sorted out in your favor. Looks like everyone else has good suggestions!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes! So glad I posted because of the help I've gotten, thank you everyone!
I'm planning on emailing my disability coordinator who's finishing my paperwork with this information so that whoever reads it to make a decision can at least make a well informed one. Wether it be for the good of their housing or for my well being. (Considering they finally moved me out of an apartment that had black mold only a couple weeks ago I'm pretty sure my well being isn't high on their list)

I almost got a bunny as I adore holding the babies, but I've never met an affectionate adult bunny and hadn't heard any positive reinforcement before the rat decision came along.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have an esa at my school and only 2 of my rats are covered under it, no one checks my room or on the girls. If you get one, maybe just bring home another one? Who is really gunna check? The difference between one rat and two or two and three and three and six is not that big!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts