Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...i alllwayssss use my rats names..i always call them to....i am not sure if they no there names but i had them for itleast 4 or 5 months....I thinks 1 of my rats might now there name cause he jumps on the ledge of my bed and there is a big crack and i dont want him to fall so i say his name really loud and he jumps down...not sure if its just because it scared him or what...so really i dont know how to teach my rats to come when there called...and i really hope they can learn some things cause i am dispapoinyted that they arnt litter trained:SAnd i want them to be smart little rats:)can anyone tell me what i can do to teach them?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Try calling them softly and giving them treats when they come. Eventually they'll associate (Name) = get treat from person saying name = Good!

·
Registered
137 Posts
For litter training, try to find out where they normally go anyways... usually there'll be a consistent corner that is used most of the time. Put the litter tray there, and move any droppings they leave elsewhere into the litter box ASAP after it happens. Eventually, they'll get it.

As for the rest of training, Forensic's already given you all you need to know: positive reinforcement (treats!) works wonders with rats.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Whenever I give my rats a treat, I repeat their name 2 to 3 times. They learn their names in no time at all. You have to keep doing it too as they seem to forget in the beginning. And some of them have learned to go back to the cage when I say go home. They know there's a treat waiting for them when they do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts