Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in numerous places that rats prefer to do their business in one corner of their cage. My rats don’t seem to favor anywhere. It seems to me that they just let it drop anywhere in their bedding (and occasionally on an upper shelf). They usually don’t go outside of their cage. I put a litter box in their cage, and tried the tricks but they only seemed to dig and play in it.

Does anyone have rats that don’t choose a corner?
Does this mean they will be harder or impossible to litter train?
Does anyone have any advice to help train them?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The twins never picked a corner. I was just very persistent with moving the raisins back into the box... They've gotten much better. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forensic said:
I was just very persistent with moving the raisins back into the box...
LOL i'm not sure i'll be able to look at raisins the same way now! Well I'll keep working on it I guess! :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I know... ever since I heard that term I'm turning down oatmeal raisin cookies left and right. :lol:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Bert seems to go everywhere too but I think the majority of the poops happen in the litter box. I keep persistant at putting the poops in their regardless and have caught him doing his business in there. I get very excited and cheer him on when he does it and Chris looks tells me I'm a freak and Bert immediately stops to run up to me to be petted. It's like toilet training a toddler I suppose lol.

Odin and Bastian are very good at using the litter box! I don't have one for Morgan and Hobbes and don't think they will take to one very well. They poop EVERYWHERE lol. I might try to litter train them soon as I can find a good litter box. I got the two I use second hand and havn't been able to find ones that small size anywhere D:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts