Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my two guys for 5 weeks. I've been trying to switch their food to blocks since I understood it to be a better choice... But they really hate it. i sprinkle some of their old mix on top hoping it gets them in an eating mood, should I just take the mix away completely?? They're still getting fresh foods from the kitchen too. Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I haven't had any problems switching rats to Oxbow, all of mine love it. I would take away the other mix completely. maybe also try not giving them fresh food or treats for a day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I switched my rats from harlan to oxbow and they love it, but that's from block to block. Yours are going to be a little bit mad because it's not as tasty as picking out what they like but if you take away the mix they'll get hungry and eat the blocks. They won't starve themselves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you feeding the Oxbow young rat and mouse formula, or the oxbow regal rat for adults? I found that none of mine particularly liked the young formula (nor did I like the ingredients, personally), so I switched them to the regal rat and supplement protein a little more than I would have on the young formula, since they're all still young.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent responses, this group rocks! I was totally wondering if it would work/ would I starve them if I gave them only the blocks. And it is young rat oxbow, What do use to supplement for protein?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I also give mine the adult oxbow regal rat. They would never eat the young oxbow. And they don't care for actual lab blocks. They like the little oxbow triangles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I give turkey, chicken, and eggs to supplement protein for youngsters being fed the adult formula. They don't need a lot of the extras, but enough to boost protein levels in their diet. It seems pretty common for rats to turn their nose up at the young formula.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep, mine hated young rat oxbow, but nommed up the adult. I supplemented with baby formula, soy based, for a while, but then switched to a bit of scrambled egg every couple days. If the boys start to itch, though, cut back on the protein, as that can be a bit much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts