Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reminded (again) today that NOTHING happens without The Rats knowing about it! :D

Recently, I got these "mini Vanilla Wafers." Each cookie is a little bigger than an M&M candy. I had a handful today, and was walking past their home. I noticed that Boo was right up in front, but I couldn't see Gus. I figured he was probably sleeping somewhere (which he was.)

I said to Boo, "Hi, do you want a cookie?"

I got as far as, "Hi, do you want..." when this head comes FLYING up out of a nearby hammock!

"I'M AWAKE! I WANT IT TOO!"

So, the next thing I did was open the door, and give both parties a cookie. :)

However, I was amazed by the language recognition, and also that, even though we're "napping," we're keeping an ear out for treats. Gus knows that if he hears the words, "Do you want," the answer is "yes." (I wasn't trying to cheat him out of his cookie, BTW...I just thought he was deep asleep, someplace that I couldn't reach.)

Just a reminder that your rats know more than you think they know!

I LOVE my kids so much! :D :D :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
teehee thats so cute , its like if i go near the cage they know im gunna give em a cheerio and if i dont there like awww gimmi one pweas its so cute

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just don't think you'll EVER get away with giving something to one, and not to everybody else. They're keeping track of who gets what...it's IMPORTANT! :lol:

I say, give 'em the cheerio. All that cuteness is worth a cheerio! ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
cheerios are part of my rats diet, but they still go nuts for them, holly, thats such a cute story :) i wish my girls used their hammock :roll:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thats a really cute story. Thats really funny how right when you said that he jumped up :lol:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have three places where my girls can sleep a white plastic basket, a wicker basket, and a hammock. The one loves the white plastic basket and is in there most of the day. the other one likes the hammock and the wicker basket. The male loves his wicker basket in his own cage--- he is kept seperate because of his sickness-- he is doing much better but not strong enough to go back in the multi-level cage yet. They do always know when you have a treat or something that they want--- my girls go right to the door of the cage. My boy just peaks his head out of his basket--- so cute.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have three places where my girls can sleep a white plastic basket, a wicker basket, and a hammock. The one loves the white plastic basket and is in there most of the day. the other one likes the hammock and the wicker basket. The male loves his wicker basket in his own cage--- he is kept seperate because of his sickness-- he is doing much better but not strong enough to go back in the multi-level cage yet. They do always know when you have a treat or something that they want--- my girls go right to the door of the cage. My boy just peaks his head out of his basket--- so cute.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have a noise I use when they're about to get something good, and so if I make it, they come RUSHING over to me. Be they across the bed, sleeping, whatever, they'll get their furry little butts over to me as fast as possible.

And then if I accidentally make the noise... well, I just feel too bad looking at their little beggin' faces, I cave and give them a little something.

·
Registered
60 Posts
CaptainFlow said:
I have a noise I use when they're about to get something good, and so if I make it, they come RUSHING over to me. Be they across the bed, sleeping, whatever, they'll get their furry little butts over to me as fast as possible.

And then if I accidentally make the noise... well, I just feel too bad looking at their little beggin' faces, I cave and give them a little something.
I make a little tut, tut noise when I'm giving them treats. This weekend, I was trying to get some good pictures, so I kept making that noise to get there attention. It didn't dawn on me until later that now they might be shy because they are associating the "treat" noise with "That EVIL, bright flashy light"!. :) Poor things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts