Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got two perfect little girls, age 9 weeks now, from my local pet store Christmas Eve and as it turns out, Roxie, a beautiful mink self, was pregnant on arrival. As it turns out, I woke up this morning to the high pitched eeping of 12 darling pinkies. Mom had obviousy prepared a nest, delivered, cleaned up the bubs and began nursing them as I slept! Sadly, 1 bub didn't make it. He/she was very tiny. Good news though. The 12 others are all nursing correctly and the squirming bodies and almost constant eeps alert me to they're (hopefully healthy) existence. More updates in the day and weeks to follow.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pictures? :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats on the bubs! Can't wait for pics! =]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As promised, two little pics I took, one yesterday, the other today. Don't wanna bother Mom too much. Bear in mind they're not the best quality pictures. I'll take better ones later on.

Roxie cleaning up a little while after the birth.

The Gang

There were originally 13 bubs, but one little guy didn't make it. :( I felt so sad for Roxie; she kept mothering it like the others.

**Gah, sorry about the dates. I forgot to set the date and time after I chnaged the camera battery.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just so you know & not continue to think it is because there were not enough nipples for all the babies to eat... just because there were 13 (or more for that matter) it doesn't mean you will lose them so that there is one baby per nipple. I have seen Mother's successfully nurse 15, 20 or even more.

Often when one dies so young there were other complications. Such as being under developed or possible the baby aspirated during the delivery process. There are so many more things that can happen or reasons why the little one didn't make it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thank you. I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Such a beautiful bunch of babies! Sorry for the loss of the 13th baby, but as said above, there are many MANY reasons for a pup dying shortly after birth. I could have been sickness, a birth defect, or he/she may have just been unable to survive for whatever reason. But WHATEVER the reason, you still have 12 healthy pups to watch and care for, and congrats on that! I have a rat whose pregnant too.....got her on the 28th and 2 or 3 days later she started growing and her nipples are showing and the whole bit. I'm waiting for her bubs to be born.......hopefully I'll be as lucky as you, with 12 =]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is. She was super agressive earlier though; nipping me and baring her teeth. I think she was a bit overwhelmed. I lured her out of the cage with Yogies for some free range time and she calmed down a lot. I also checked out the bubs while she was out and about. They are all nursing and have great milk-bands. They are gonna be fat little spoiled ratties. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Awww, yea, mommies do things like that! Some will get agressive when pregnant and when nursisng babies, and others won't. It all depends on the rat. Even the sweetest of rats can get nippy....its all hormones! But it's great that the other babies are doing well, and Roxie looks and sounds like she's doing a great job =]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeha. I'm super happy. It's only been two days and the bubs are already starting to grow. They're healthy and eepy as ever. I can't wait until their markings start to show. I've also sexed them and it's 8 boys and 4 girls. But there's a big chnace I'm wrong...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
often it takes a couple weeks to know for sure until you've looked at like 1,000,000 baby-bub-butts

I can assure you that you will know for sure by 3 weeks max because the boys tend to very proud to show you what their sisters are lacking.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yeah, essentially what A1APassion said.

Just keep re-sexing them... eventually you'll be sure.

And if you're not, we can try to help! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately I can't. Nowhere *near* enough room to house a dozen fully grown rats. :( But I am keeping one girl and putting her with her mom and aunt. I;m getting a new cage big enough for three for the girls and giving my current smaller cage to my brother; he wants a rattie of his own.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My accidental litter had 14 rittens... I was meant to keep 1-2 girls first.. then it became 5 boys T_T they were and are so lovable little furballs.

anyway MORE PICTURES OF THE BABIES?! *begs and cheers*

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish I could keep them all, or at least more than 1 or 2. I hate not knowing their futures. If I can't find homes I'll have to give them to my local pet store where they could possibly be *gulp* feeders.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You should start advertising the rittens already :) and try finding possible new parents for em :)
Post on forums, and pet giving/selling sites etc .
I hope all of your little babies get good homes :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Haha, you definitely needa put up more pics of your 12 bubs......I'll put up pics of my brand new 6 babies tomorrow^_________^

1 - 20 of 52 Posts