Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Connor fractured his leg. It was put into a splint to heal, but he scratched it off. Taking the hair on his ENTIRE leg with it. It's red and raw, but he's walking and grooming it/ with it. At the moment he is with my mother and I sleeping. But I don't know if I should let him groom it or if I should try to bandage it. It is a Holliday today and I won't be able to take him to the vet until tomorrow morning. I put some neosporin on the redder parts just to be sure it doesn't get irritated more and I'm trying not to let him groom it. It takes up the majority of his leg. When I took the rest of the cast off it was huge! But the swelling has since gone down considerably and is now almost normal/ normal.Please guys I really need help he's my baby!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Is he in a single level cage already? I would just clean really well, put paper towels down as bedding and replace them as they're soiled. Keeping his cage clean will keep the leg clean. I'd call the vet tomorrow to see what they recommend, but I honestly think that bandaging or recasting will just do more harm than good at this point as he's already figured out that he can take it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought. Should I keep him from grooming it? Or will it be okay to leave him on his own and let him chill today?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Let him groom, I don't see how you could keep him from it anyway. I've seen some pretty ugly bites and wounds before and spent a lot of effort trying to bandage and take care of them at first but then I realized that they are able to take care of themselves probably better than I could and most of what I did just added stress to an already stressful situation. Best to leave things alone most of the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He seems to have picked at it a bit more and is still really red. But you sure leaving it be is the best option right now? It will cost me like $48 to see the vet + medication cost

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm not saying don't take him to the vet, I'm saying don't try to do anything to him yourself and if the vet wants to recast or bandage him, voice your concerns about it staying on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They said they would give him a cone, but I have heard horror stories. And still the idea of him scratching it off terrifies me. But he does need to go to the get I know

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update! Well the redness and wounds have mostely healed and the hair is growing back. the vet didnt charge me anything the moment he saw the wounds he told me exactly what i could do at home to help and now the hair is growing back, He doesnt need the splint anymore because he is walking and using his leg and paw with no damage to his movement whatso ever.

Guys! I'm ecstatic!

My boy is making a full recovery~ <3

Daddy could not be happier!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm glad to hear that. Yay. Haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts