Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a third rat. Hehe. But in order to do so I need to get a better cage. I would really appreciate it if you guys could post links to sites that have cages. I've checked eBay and craigs list and all that already. or if any one has a basic layout on how to make one of you're own I might try that. I'm not sure yet. Anyways thanks for you're help.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Martin's Cages are highly recommended (http://www.martinscages.com/)

As are Ferret Nations (www.ferret.com or eBay is generally best).

But you can find others. As always, though, check the size with the cage calculator. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh what about bird cages? The guy at the pet store said that a rat can chew their way out of them, but I've heard of people on here using them. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If they're metal and rat cages are metal, how would the rat chew out of it?

You can sometimes find a big birdcage cheap at secondhand shops, but you'll have to sanitize it and then add shelves/lots of hammocks. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you 100% xure they can't chew out of it? I heard they can chew through pipes and things like that.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Contrary to popular rat myths, rats can't chew through anything.

Rat cages are made of metal wire... so are bird cages... so they wouldn't be able to chew out of a bird cage.

One really good piece of advice is this: Never believe anything the guy/girl at the pet store says about rats. Chances are, they don't know much, if anything, about what they're talking about (like when they tell you with confident certainty that rats can be kept alone in a 10 gallon aquarium on pine bedding >.< )

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol I believe you. Is there any websites proving this? I have to be able to prove it to my fiancee if I want that cage saw.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't know about any websites stating straight out that rats can't chew through bird cages... but if you look at Martins cages, the bird cages and rat cages are made of the exact same stuff, which is the same stuff every wire cage is made of, so maybe that'll help convince him? ^^;;

The only difference is that some cages are coated with different things. Powder coating and PVC coating can be chewed off the wire (which can't be chewed through), but epoxy coating stays on. Maybe you could convince your fiance that's what the pet store guy meant? ^^;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts