Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

The lady who I got Panda and Scout from has another small litter that was born a while ago, mostly really nice masked agoutis...I've been thinking of getting a female (spayed of course) but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to get another male. That would bring my total to three boys (cage can hold 4 max, but I would never cram 4 boys in there.) But I just don't know if I should take the leap. I would feel bad about breaking up Panda and Scout's bond, and I have no idea if they would fight. Panda and Scout wrestle a lot, but when I first introduced them to each other they didn't make any fuss at all - almost a perfect introduction since there was no fighting. I can handle the quarantine, the newbie would be at my boyfriend's apartment until he's ready to be introduced. Ugh I'm just torn both ways on this one...two seems like a great number (one for each hand) and they say "three's a crowd" and it just seems like it would be a mistake to get another.

I guess I don't suffer from GGMR like most people :D
Right now I'd say I'm 70% "stick with 2" and 30% "get another"
Though, if I came across a Himalayan, I'd get it right away, LOL. My first rat was a beautiful Himalayan girl :D

Any opinions/experiences on going from 2 to 3?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: thinking about getting a third boy

I say go for it. The more the better. Because rats are so social, they usually like living in a large group. I don't think that your other rat's bond would be broken at all. I think they would probably just like having someone else to play with. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

I personally have had problems introducing singles into an established group, so I always get my rats in pairs just in case. It keeps them socialized while they are in quarantine and insures you will not have that one rat out if they aren't accepted.

That's my personal take on things.

·
Registered
527 Posts

i'm in the same situation as you ( i wanna get a 3rd girl) but i don't know if i should..i'm concerned about the cage being crowded and all (i have a martins R-685) =/
-waits for more opinions-

·
Registered
418 Posts

Since getting two isn't an option for you I would consider going with a spayed female since introductions would probably go better. Plus females are typically smaller so she'll take up less space! On the other hand your two boys may start fighting over the female (I don't know if this is a problem for people or not)?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

lostbutnotforgot said:
Since getting two isn't an option for you I would consider going with a spayed female since introductions would probably go better. Plus females are typically smaller so she'll take up less space! On the other hand your two boys may start fighting over the female (I don't know if this is a problem for people or not)?
that's what my main concern was - the boys fighting over whose girlfriend she would be :D i dunno if this would happen if she was spayed, but it would be a LONG time before they met her if i went this route - the new litter is way too young to be spayed, so i would have to do the 3 week quarantine, then the spay + recovery time, and then the intro. and i don't really have a "proper" cage for her to live in during this time, just a smallish quarantine cage (it works for three weeks, but i wouldn't want to keep a rat in there for much longer than that.)

^ and all that mess is why i decided it would be another boy, if any. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts

I was in the same position, and I went for it... the new rat is almost like the one you want too... he is agouti hooded, and I don't regret it one bit. The other two guys took about... 3-4 days to finally start being good friends. It has been one week now, and they are sleeping together, grooming each other, and so on. If your cage can hold the rat, get the rat. Once you have two, it is not hard to move to three, especially if your cage has plenty of room. It seems, that moving from two to three takes about 20% more shavings (if you obsessively clean), but definitely more food, obviously, 1/3 more. We just got a larger food dish, which actually worked out well, because one of our rats liked to turn the old one over, where this one is large enough for him to sift through.

I am kindof against spaying and neutering for convenience, so get the male, they will get along with proper care, and in a few weeks, they will be best of friends.

·
Registered
357 Posts

This sounds selfish, but do you experienced 3+ owners feel as though the pair "needed" you less when there were three?

I had two ducks when I was young and it was very different from when there were three ducks.

I wonder if they feel less attached to their human family when there is a bigger pack. :?

·
Registered
226 Posts

rattikins said:
This sounds selfish, but do you experienced 3+ owners feel as though the pair "needed" you less when there were three?

I had two ducks when I was young and it was very different from when there were three ducks.

I wonder if they feel less attached to their human family when there is a bigger pack. :?
Hmmm, that is a good question...I have often wondered that myself. I dont think it is a selfish question at all.

How many rats to you own rattikins?? Just curious??

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

now i'm about 50/50 on getting a new boy :D
i'd love to see them get a new playmate, and since they are getting a little older and slower, a new bouncy baby might perk them up.

i just hope i can handle 3 if i decide to go for it.

·
Registered
722 Posts

Poppyseed said:
I personally have had problems introducing singles into an established group, so I always get my rats in pairs just in case. It keeps them socialized while they are in quarantine and insures you will not have that one rat out if they aren't accepted.

That's my personal take on things.
I had that problem when I got my third rat. She's doing better now that I got a fouth rat, but she still kind of acts like a bit of a loner. I wonder if that has something to do with being kind of left out from Jay and Silent Bob since she was little?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

to be honest, my worst fear is that the new baby will die like Skunk did...it really shook me up when he died. even though the chances of the new baby having a stroke are really low, i'm still worried...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

i think i'm gonna go for it :D tomorrow i will visit the ratties and see if any catch my eye. i'm looking for another boy that's REALLY outgoing and friendly, like Panda :D :D

if i do decide on one, i'll post pics right away ;)
but if i don't find the perfect little guy, i'll pass for now - there's no rush

1 - 16 of 16 Posts