Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know introducing a new rat has different rules for different genders. What if I have one of each? I mean obviously I'd have to keep the chance of babies null, but beyond that. I suspect a rat older than the siblings wouldn't be good, but any general estimates of how old the siblings should be to get another one? And how old the newcomer should be?

·
Registered
952 Posts
mixed sex mischiefs are wonderful. Spaying the females has health benefits as in it helps to prevent cancer in them. It would depend on how old your rats are. Typically a male rat would need to be introduced at 6-8 weeks of age to other males. However females need to be at least 12 weeks of age before being introduced to other females. You have boys correct? I would get a young fixed girl for them if you were to go that route.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a boy and a fixed female. Thus my confusion on the appropriate age for intros.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping to add males but since they're 5 months the ship has pretty much sailed on that hasn't it? I mean females are nice but I can't afford the multiple spays.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ah well as to that I have no answer. I would think that because your girl is fixed she would be able to take to a slightly younger female but I am not sure a 7 week old would be old enough.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now are intros outside of the best time possible? Like could an adult male possibly be successfully introduced to a young/baby male?

·
Registered
265 Posts
To be honest what I would do in your position is get your male fixed so you can add some girls to the mixed and that way you don't have to get the girls spayed. Getting a male neutered is not that overly expensive and at least you only have one and then you can add as many more to the mischief as you want. It only cost me $50 each to get my boys fixed. Plus it is said to be the easiest intro to introduce a neutered male to a female. My neutered boys took on my 5 week old baby girl with absolutely no problem whatsoever and act fatherly towards her. Not sure how difficult it is to intro a girl to your spayed female but I'm sure it would be fine.

In my opinion that might be a better option than going with trying to get all those boys to get along because a lot of times all of that testosterone is where people have horrible aggression during intros and end up having to get them neutered anyways or just end up taking months to get them living together.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Males like young males. Females like older girls. With older males its a territory thing. They are a sexual threat to a dominant male. Spaying a female is more money but the health benefits are wonderful.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neutering here is about 125. But because of health concerns any females I get I'd want to spay. That does get pricey and they're a little too ADHD for me so except for a truly exceptional rat I think I'd like to go with males if at all possible. Worst comes to worst I may add in a female to keep company of the survivor and once Simon is gone begin with males again. But if it is possible to get a young/baby male in with an older one that would be preferable to me.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
there are real health benefits to neutering males too actually, and its often cheaper and less invasive for the rats!

I would probably add 2 young males to your group, around 9-11 weeks old. Adult males take well to young boys, but after about 11-12 weeks they are harder though still perfectly doable (jsut take more time). The baby boys being a little older will also mean that your spayed doe doesnt get as fed up of them (not all does do but some can be quite grumpy with babies) and there being 2 of them means they dont harras the adults as much to play. Again though you can still intro younger babies to does, many will take to them with no problem though i prefer to leave it until they are 8 weeks or so old as they are more substantial should someone take offense to them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the input! Unfortunately then I think additions will have to wait until I can buy a larger cage, my current one can only support 3 rats so I'll have to wait until I get that CN I've been dreaming about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts