Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of switching from Oxbow Regal Rat to Solid Gold Holistique Blendz.
It seems like it's healthier, and a lot of people seem to think it's good. But it's protein content is a little high, but that should be easily fixed with veggies and stuff.

Would it be best to add a grain mix with it, or is it fine by itself?

I haven't done anything yet, I'm just thinking here. I know I'll have to introduce it slowly. I just can't help but wonder if their diet isn't at least partially contributing to Tumbleton's chronic myco issues (and even if it isn't I don't like feeding them soy). I'll have to do some more looking into how to make the mix, if I need to make a mix, but that's fine.

Right now they're getting Oxbow 2x a day and little bowls of mixed veggies 2x a day, with the veggies no more than the size of their heads total in a day, there's never any leftovers to remove. They get bits of fruit sometimes too, tiny bits of banana, apple, or melon usually.

If anyone has any advice to give about this, it would be most welcome!

·
Registered
629 Posts
My opinion is that there is no need to switch. Oxbow is a great food. I can't find anything online that says that oxbow or other blocks would contribute to myco. One of my rats has shown skin problems with 18% protein HT blocks so I'm extra cautious about too much protein now.
That said, if you're going to switch I would look at adding a grain mix for sure if you feel the need to switch to even it out. Homemade mixes can be better than blocks if you make them well balanced.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to just make my own mix from scratch honestly, but I need to look into that more thoroughly. I don't want to use a bunch of processed crap for them.
I'm thinking brown rice and pearled barley for sure, and some other stuff yet to be decided.
I really don't like the soy in the oxbow, that's the main thing here. He might even have an allergy to it or something. I don't know. He was bred, basically to have cute ears and markings, and if he didn't sell he would be used as snake food anyway, he doesn't have the best genes. I don't know why he keeps having myco problems, and I want to try everything I can to help him.
I'm not saying Oxbow is trash, either, it is the best 'Rat' block available IMHO, but I'm a bit wary of a couple of the ingredients.
I just want my guys to eat the best food I can provide. I'm a mother hen and I must do the best I can for my precious babies. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts