Rat Forum banner

Thinking of getting a rat

716 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rattieluver 
#1 ·
hey, I've always liked rats ever since i was a kid, And I've been wanting a pet for a while, i have a few questions, im planning on reading copious amounts of literature on how to keep them and make sure they live like kings!

So far I've not got around to it, i know i need two of them because they get lonely, and im up most of the night. now for two rats how big of a cage do i need? any other things i should know?

#2 ·
Let me start by saying you've chosen pretty much the best pet ever!

I agree that getting more than one rat is a must - I have two myself and they've been together since birth and really love each other.

I have two males because I didn't want to have to deal with de-sexing issues that would come with getting a male and a female, and females are known to be more prone to tumors and therefore longterm health care may be an issue - but really the gender of your rats is a matter of personal preference.

As for cage size, I started out with a smallish, wire cage about 1 foot high and two feet long when my rats were babies. This worked out fine with smaller rats but as they got bigger it made sense to invest in a larger cage - my rats are almost a year old now and live in a cage about one cubic meter.

It's a great idea like you said to do plenty of reading. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.