Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so in a couple of weeks my mom is getting two of Roxie's babies. She's taking two males, and she has me looking for cages for her. I found this cage on the petsmart page, and the website doesn't show the dimensions, so I called the store and they said it's 12" x 18" x 24". I put that in the rat calculator, and I know it says that it's only big enough for one. However, it has two platforms, and I'm planning on doing a little renovation. I'm gonna cover the platforms with fleece, take that little house out, take out the wheels, add lots of hammocks and hanging cubes, and put an igloo and some stuff in the bottom. So I'm thinking if I use that space wisely, it'd be ok. But what do you guys think? Will this cage be ok for two males?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not at all. No matter what you do to it if the calculator says it's barely big enough for one rat then it's not big enough for two.

Not only that but would you like to live in a really tall closet? there's barely any running room in this cage.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Maybe. While they're tiny babies.

So, basically, noooo. Not if you plan on keeping them in there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I figured. I'm a really bad judge of size, and I'm sure when I saw it in person I wouldn't have bought it. I hadn't settled on this one at all, I was just asking for advice.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If they're small babies, I'd say it's ok as a temporary accommodation.

I've learnt from personal experience that boys need their space. Keeping them cooped up in a small cage will only encourage fighting and rough housing as they'll be stepping on each others toes.

If you're going to get a cage, I'd suggest you get one that would house at least 3 or 4. But, that's personal preference

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got my girls a Superpet My First home 2'x2' multi-level ferret cage. It's huge, and if I'd been planning on getting four or more rats at the time I'd have gone with a Ferret Nation.
There is a new Superpet cage made for exotics like rats out now, and I hear it's a pretty good price too. I'd do a bit more research and find a bigger cage for the boys that'll be good for them once they get older as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, my mom's bein a cheap-o but she's so in love with these boys, so I'm thinking I'm gonna be able to talk her into just getting a Martin's cage. They're really not that much and seem to be worth it.

But don't worry, I love my ratties too much to let them live in anything too small. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Every time I see this cage, in purple, it brings a tear to my eye. I rescued my 1 year old heart rat (RIP) from that cage...and she was full grown, all alone, living on moldy pine bedding, being fed saltine crackers, algae water, and had a dirty "sock" as a bed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AmyBunny said:
Every time I see this cage, in purple, it brings a tear to my eye. I rescued my 1 year old heart rat (RIP) from that cage...and she was full grown, all alone, living on moldy pine bedding, being fed saltine crackers, algae water, and had a dirty "sock" as a bed.

I'm sorry. :( That's so sad. But at least you gave her a good home!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rattiegma said:
AmyBunny said:

I'm sorry. :( That's so sad. But at least you gave her a good home!
4 short months, then she left me at the vet's office with most likely a brain tumor that caused neurological damage :cry: .

She was in poor health, she was fed saltines for months....I am not sure how she survived off them.

She taught me to love rats, though :) .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts