Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i feed my 3 rats a variation of the subee mix.

However theres a problem..None of them seem to be eating it..

The youngest one always seems hungry ((always snatches treats and gobbles them up instantly) And she doesnt seem to be growing , shes about 15 weeks old now , but is the same size as when i got her at 6 weeks.

The oldest one is getting VERY chubby. But refuses to eat treats.

The last one will only eat treats.

NONE of them are eating any subee mix atall ! i have weighed up the food to check.

What can i do ?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There "base" feed is as follows :

((trys to include everything))

Labblocks
Pasta spirals
Cheerios ((A version of , that is unsweetened))
Rice Pops
Dried Veg and Fruit
Seed mix
And a Musili mix that has rolled oats. Some soy nuts

As for "treat" foods , its varies but the main things that they eat are :

Cream Cheese
Yoghurt drops
Little pieces of cooked chicken
Some soft dog treats (rarely)
Un seasoned cooked noodles ( they love them)
Bits of carrot or apple (not always eaten)
Bananana ( not always eaten)
A plain cracker

That kind of thing.
They are quite fussy about what treats they WILL eat. So ive tried to put just the ones that they usually eat.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
when you say you try to include a little of everything, do you do this in each feeding... a little of everything all at once?

try breaking it down a little... so many options could be offering a bounty of goodies & at that point they will pick & choose what they like best rather than eat everything that is good for them

kind of like putting out a bowl of spinach along with ice cream, cookies & a chocolate bar out in front of a 3 year old... you know that kid will fill up on everything else long before he reaches the spinach

offer the most important items first... such as the lab blocks & then a small amount of the grains/pastas

move the cheerios over to the treat side of things because my guess is that there is most likely a lot more sugar in that than you think.... check the carbs & sugar carbs listing. Finger feed this item to them a few at a time once a day

Seeds are high in fat & should be moved over to the treat side of things as well & those too should only be offered in moderation every other day or so, depending on how active your rats are.

Dried fruits & veggies... the thing with dehydrated fruits is that they shrink to a dramatically small size once the water is removed but their sugar content is not changed... that teeny-tiny piece of fruit packs a punch of a sugar rush & your rats will gobble it up gladly... high energy but not filling, this will cause them to take in too many nutrients on one side of the scale & not enough that other foods offer.

You could do away with cream cheese & yogurt drops all together because they don't provide anything your rats needs for nutritional balance. With all the sugar they are already getting & all the fat they are getting from seeds it is just way too much going in.

try to work in more veggies in as raw a form as you can... or even the frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrots & peas)... the grains & musili are good to offer daily but try to get them to focus on their block first... grains second & then onto fresher fruits & veggies.... everything else can be offered periodically (not so much daily) & offered as a treat.

just a suggestion because without being able to actually read the labels or know exactly what seeds & such you are offering.. my best guess is that their diet is too high in fat & sugar.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would slowly introduce food's to them

mine used to not eat ANYTHING bar reggie rat now they eat loads
Mine love scrambled eggs and considering one of your rats doesnt seem to be growing i would increase slightly the protien control and like the above post says watch out for high sugar and fat..
I do one egg scrambled with extra low fat splash of milk between 3 - 11 week old ratties and they have benifited from the 2wice a week eggs.
Also when mine were small and not eating much wheatabix was a good option for them as it contained good fibre
Mine arnt treat rats either they dont see yoghurt drops as treats ect so i just put 2 oe 3 yoggie drops in a meal 2wice a week just so my ratties can have a 'nice' food .
The above post has better advice
but i would say a bit more protien and also introduce foods slowly until your ratties trust it enough to eat together
Jess x

·
Registered
468 Posts
You know what's weird, is that Roxie really couldn't care less about Yogies, but as soon as a hand-feed her a rice puff or something like that, she gobbles it up! Silly rat! lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts