Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly think I don't have the energy for her, she is really friendly in her cage and all, but I can never take her out, not because she bites (she don't), but because she's so skittish about being outside, I can't hold her without having a harness on her, and I've lost her a couple times, I honestly don't know what to so because if she continues acting like this then she will end up never being touched at all, I just don't have the energy to do anything about it since she already is as tame as she is... She just isn't going to change anymore than she already has done...

·
Registered
437 Posts
When you get her out of her cage do you provide her with stimulation? (things like tunnels, climbing frames, hiding places and even little cat or rabbit toys) Rats are very intelligent and, if not given anything to do, will probably spend their time 'exploring' or in other words, escaping, their free ranging area. They tend to head straight for the places we wish they'd stay away from so make sure you've constructed a 'rat-proof' area for her to play in. You can do this by blocking off places or creating a pen with cardboard, correx or plexi glass. I myself have had to get quite creative, stuffing pocket books into gaps they can squeeze through. For me it's been sort of a step by step process. I improve their free range area by seeing what they get up to every time I et them out, i feel that soon it will be perfect! My point is basically that letting her out into areas that are open but that you don't want her to explore won't work with 90% of rats, especially females who often tend to be more energetic and mischievous.

I'm also wondering, is she your only rat? Rats are very social beings and benefit a lot from living with other rats. They even learn behaviours from each other in that, if you had a more confident rat who would willingly approach you out of her cage, then your current rat may well follow. There are a lot of reasons that companionship is important though, naturally rats live in large groups and cuddle, groom, sleep with, eat with and play with other rats. So if she is an only rat then i highly suggest getting her another female cage mate.

As for not being able to hold her, have you tried immersion training? It worked wonders for me with my rats. There is a really amazing thread on this site started by Rat Daddy. I even went from having a rat who would puff up his fur and lunge if i went near him, to being my most soppy, cuddliest lap rat.

You say she isn't going to change any more than she has done, but rats are very intelligent creatures, they just need a chance to see that you are there to communicate with them, play with them and cuddle them and they'll usually, sometimes quite suddenly, have a huge change in behaviour. If her skittishness has so far put you off of taking her out and handling her for at least an hour an day (though if she is an only rat she'll need far more time than that) then that could be part of the problem. It will take persistence but it's always worth it.

I hope everything works out with you and your rats, don't give up on her just yet. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is not a lonely rat, I have 4 rats, right now she is sitting in my shirt and she was chattering her teeth, but not loudly, silently, semi closed eyes, she is barely moving at all and I doin't have to hold her as she isn't bolting about right now, she is like that sometimes, not sure why. she is about 6 to 7 months old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts