Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really do want a third rattie. The one at petsmart is as cute as a button, though jumpy, and I generally kind of feel like three would be better. The cage looks so empty and big with those two tiny girls in it alone (I need to make some toys!!)

I'll have to clean a lot more to afford three rat's-worth-of-food, which would stink, but I can manage that much. I CAN'T manage a new cage for q.t. which bites. And I don't want to take the risk of dumping another girl in with my own two, and having everything go horribly wrong.

So I'd thought I'd vent here, and yet ch'all know. I might stake out on Craigs List for a bit, try to find something, but I doubt that'll happen any time soon ;__;

Oh, and on a sidenote, I've got the name for the little rat--Mimzy! If you've got any suggestions for the bigger rattie with the kink in her tail... I'm looking for something sophisticated-sounding, like Chanel or some really long name I could give a nickname to :3

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know you are only venting but I would like to say a couple of things. Please don't take it as a personal attack, as I am just trying to help.

You are currently in no state to have two rats, much less three. You have shown that you are unable to afford proper food and veterinary care for them, and I have a feeling that since you got rats anyway when you did not have the money to properly take care of them (Nor did you even have proper food lined up for them), you would end up getting another and skip proper introductions/quarantine in your impatience.

So please do not get a third rat until you can afford it properly. Preferably until you have a job and are able to take the rats to the vet on your own if necessary.

Once again, I don't want you to think I'm attacking you, but I'm just looking out for the rats. It's admirable that you came to these forums before getting your rats, but you should have known that the timing was not right for you to get them.

As an aside and not meant to be an encouragement, the cost of feeding three rats is almost the same as two. Feeding rats is one of the cheapest things in the world. As I mentioned earlier, I make a double batch of Suebee's mix and it lasts me months and months and couldn't cost more than $40.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bah. I just had a HUGE reply to this. And it won't let me post because I "have to enable my cookies" or something.

So, to condense what I had previously written...

My parents aren't formal about pets. Getting top quality everything just isn't in their sights (Suebee's is sounding like a great idea), so I couldn't get a nice food online. Plus, the trip up to the petstore was impromptu, and since mum wouldn't let me go up there again 'just to get more stuff before I get the rats' and actually prepare, I had to get everything from this small Petco's selection. This was the only non-Kaytee food product for rats there, so I had to get it.

About the financial situation-my parents would never let the ratties die simply because I couldn't afford to take them to the vet. I'll probably have to clean around the house and babysit (alot) to make up for that, but they will still be able to safely make it to the vet.

The part that offends me is that you would assume I would do something as STUPID as not going through with the qt or intro processes, when I have full knowlage of how important that is. If it was up to my parents, they would skip it all together if the person in the store said so. I tried to introduce Jack Jack to Annabell slowly (Anna's a VERY terratorial cat, and I read that introductions would help with that sort of thing), but my plans were ruined the first morning we got him. They put Ann and Jack right next to each other, and it took about 3 months for Annabell to come inside again, and at LEAST another 2 before she would let us touch her (and people wonder why I'm paranoid T.T)

I've soaked up a whole lot of info I never knew about rats before, and it's hard to believe there's STILL more knowlage to "soak up". I've known from the start that I wouldn't be able to get everything top quality, whether or not I payed for it, although I sure am trying. I'll admit that I'm impatient, and rather manipulative with some subjects, but I'm not stupid.

I know. I can only wonder about what it would be like to have three ratties running around that cage, and it will probably be a long time, if ever, before I can (my parents aren't too keen on getting another, or so they say. You can tell they like the girls already). Even with my brother helping out a bit 'financially'.

Speaking of getting them to the vet by myself-Mwahaha! I just need to study some more, and take the achohal/drug knowlage hour-long thing after school... And wah-lah! I'll be getting my permit!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and I just put the Suebee's mix shopping list up on the fridge. Yay!

·
Registered
527 Posts
HURRAY!
i'm so glad you got your ratties..you must be jumping off the moon with joy! ;]
i am feeding my girls suebee's as well, and i dunno what they had at the pet store, but their coat is definitely shinier now!
i'd love a third rattie too, but we'll have to wait and see. for now, i'm happy with Vegas and Baby~
mimzy's a really cute name, btw!
and my name suggestions for the other rat are..Rapunzel or Cinderella!
(i'm really into fairy tales at the moment!)

ENJOY YOUR NEW BABIES! <33

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!! Yush, I am. My poor friends at school. All they heard about was the girls! ^w^!!!!!!! They're first reactions were 'ew'. And then I started talking about them, and you can see their expressions lighten up.

I've got Mimzy out with me right now, she's hanging out on this side of the desk with the laptop I'm on. She's a doll!

They've got their new-home-sneezies. It scared me at first, I thought something was wrong. Heh, she just sneezed. I'm taking turns taking them outside the room, it's hard to watch two at once when you're watching them by yourself half the time. I'll put some pictures up-I want to know how old you guys think they are! Mimzy can't be that old, I took a vauge guess of somewhere around 2 months. The kink-tailed one looks a couple weeks older.

·
Registered
527 Posts
zimmyzam said:
Thank you!! Yush, I am. My poor friends at school. All they heard about was the girls! ^w^!!!!!!! They're first reactions were 'ew'. And then I started talking about them, and you can see their expressions lighten up.

I've got Mimzy out with me right now, she's hanging out on this side of the desk with the laptop I'm on. She's a doll!

They've got their new-home-sneezies. It scared me at first, I thought something was wrong. Heh, she just sneezed. I'm taking turns taking them outside the room, it's hard to watch two at once when you're watching them by yourself half the time. I'll put some pictures up-I want to know how old you guys think they are! Mimzy can't be that old, I took a vauge guess of somewhere around 2 months. The kink-tailed one looks a couple weeks older.
aw, mimzy sounds adorable. <33
my ratties didn't have new home sneezies..which is good, seeing as i'd probably have a heart-attack! -is paranoid- >>; :lol:
so they're both pretty tame, right? my girls were hardly handled at all, so it saves a lot of "forced socialization" if they're rather comfortable with you from the start! =)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I completely agree with CJ. Just a heads up, this is my biggest pet peeve with new pet owners. If you do not have the means to care for an animal DO NOT get it. I DO NOT care how much you want one. If you can not by proper food and supply proper care you have no right to own an animal.

What if (God forbid) the sneezes turn out to be myco? How are your parents going to feel about paying many times the cost of the animal for a vet visit? I paid $43 for a walk in and antibiotics for Jenner. When I had to put my rat to sleep I paid $75 for an emergency appointment. Thats a lot of money for someone who can't afford proper food. I know this sounds harsh and I know you're going to argue with what I'm saying, but I'm sure many (if not most) people agree with me.

Please do not get another rat until you have a job and/or a steady source of income that it enough to support the daily and emergency needs of your rats.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bwahaha! I got the grain mix half of Suebee's tonight, after convincing my daddy of it's DIRE IMPORTANCE! ("Fiiiine, I'll go hunny..."), but Publix don't have no right dog food/lab blocks. Of course.

So it wouldn't hurt to feed them this for the night instead of the cheap seed mix, would it?

·
Registered
527 Posts
zimmyzam said:
Bwahaha! I got the grain mix half of Suebee's tonight, after convincing my daddy of it's DIRE IMPORTANCE! ("Fiiiine, I'll go hunny..."), but Publix don't have no right dog food/lab blocks. Of course.

So it wouldn't hurt to feed them this for the night instead of the cheap seed mix, would it?
no, i'm sure that'll be fine for tonight. =D
post pics of your girls soon..i wanna see their cute lil faces. ;]

·
Registered
549 Posts
zimmyzam said:

1st: Publix didn't have the right dog food

2nd: The grain mix alone is much better than the seed mix. You might want to give them some veggies too

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, they "pitted" the peice of cucomber I gave them. Gunna see if they like baby carrots tomorrow.

Okay, good. I thought so, but I wansta double check.

And I know, I'M the one who usually bugs people about grammer XD But I type like I talk half the time, silly-like, so yeah =P

I'm trying to get piccys, but they all come out shiney because of the flash and their white fur, or too dark because I take pictures at the WORST time of day o_o

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
zimmyzam said:
i know what you mean, today in french the we were talking about the long weekend and the teacher said something about cleaning the car and i said: i didnt clean a car.......but i cleaned the rat cage!!!
the reaction i got form the whole class was EEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
poor people, dont know what they're missing..............

·
Registered
981 Posts
zimmyzam said:
The part that offends me is that you would assume I would do something as STUPID as not going through with the qt or intro processes, when I have full knowlage of how important that is.
I apologize for offending you, and please understand I'm not trying to do it more, but it seemed equally as "stupid" to me to get rats already knowing you didn't have the proper food for them. I believe you were being impatient, and that is why I made the logical leap to believe that you could also be impatient when it came to quarantine.

But there's really nothing else to be gained by continuing down this line, so you know my opinion and that's it.

Let me say that when you do get your affairs in order, I think three rats is a perfect number of rats because then if one were to ever happen to one, the other two would still be around and have each other. (But then, I always like to bring new ones in in twos, and that's how I've ended up with 5 now. So it's dangerous to go down that road too :p )

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
XD I know, I think YOU were the person I heard say that first (about having three).

So it turns out I DON'T have to pay for EVERYTHING! Woo! Well, not with money. Mostly with time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
cjshrader said:
Let me say that when you do get your affairs in order, I think three rats is a perfect number of rats because then if one were to ever happen to one, the other two would still be around and have each other.
Very true. I had three boys, and just lost one to a horrible stroke...
His brothers are devastated, but they still have each other.
RIP Skunk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts