Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: :x :? RR.. I guess you get my point. Anyway, after all the time I spent telling my parents all about rats, I tried this one time to persuade them to let me have a rat, and they kept saying NO! 8O Yeah, sure, I have a reputation for repeatedly wanting something else :oops: (I got my gecko last June), but I so CANNOT live with the fact that I won't be getting a rat soon!
Nothing's going to work to help me persuade them anyway, "family financial matters". I don't want to get into that, If you catch my drift. It's sorta personal?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Honestly what i would do is make up a report. Show all of the research you have done and print it out into nice pamphlets for each of your parents. Put them on the table at a scheduled time, sit down and talk to them as an adult. Tell them how you plan to take care of the rat and what you are willing to do to prove to them that you are going to be responsible for this pet at all times.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If your family is having financial problems, it would be best to wait on the rats anyway. Vet care for rats isn't cheap, and they will need it sooner or later. If your parents aren't willing/able to spend the money on the rats/cage/food/etc now, would they be willing to spend $100+ for a vet visit in a couple months if one or both of the rats has a myco flareup?

I first really wanted rats when I was 15, and I tried EVERYTHING to get my mom to say yes, but she just wasn't having it. I ended up not getting my rats until I was 21. It was definitely for the best though, because now I'm able to take care of them myself - there's no way my parents would have spent hundreds of dollars on vet care for $5 rats.

Something to think about :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Mana said:
If your family is having financial problems, it would be best to wait on the rats anyway. Vet care for rats isn't cheap, and they will need it sooner or later. If your parents aren't willing/able to spend the money on the rats/cage/food/etc now, would they be willing to spend $100+ for a vet visit in a couple months if one or both of the rats has a myco flareup?

Something to think about :)
I have to agree. It may be tough, but time does go rather fast at times. Not being able to afford a pet is a very big issue. Money is why I don't have eight million animals. :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew that from the beginning, but I just didn't want to believe I wouldn't be getting a rat for a while. I'm a very impatient child. But here's one thing. I have about $200.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I hate to say it but $200 doesn't go far in the rat world of vet care. On top of that you need to get started. First you need an appropriate cage and the CHEAPEST i have ever seen a good cage for to rats is $50 then you need your bedding say 20 to last about a month, then your food say 30 for a months worth for 2 rats (guessing there is no ordering online for harlan), then toys now this can be cheap if you do it right so we will say 20. That right there only leaves you with about 80 dollars for vet funds. and that is minus the rats. I would hope you would get from a rescue and the normal adoption fee is around 10 per rats so that drops your funds to 60 unless you get from a breeder which could be as much as 40 for a pair. then you need to take into concetration that every month you will be dropping around 50 on bedding, food, treats, toys, and anything else your rat need.

Plus we haven't even thought aout the medicines you should keep in stock for your rats. I spent around 150 on my rattie first aid kit to start with.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got my first rat kinda young, after a long persistance.

Well, I was 14 when I decided to get serious about wanting a rat, I had had about 8 hamsters growing up, and my dad always called them rats and the thought occurred to me one day when I was like 12 or 13 I think.

A while after my hamster passed away ('Dusty'), I started asking for a rat and got to hear "You're NOT getting a rat.." like 5 billion times from my father.
(Hmm kinda like when I came home w my engagement ring he said "you're NOT marrying Richie..." LOL).
Anyhow.. I saved up a bunch of money from b-day an all, and then I got into babysitting for money. I babysat at the firehouse meetings every Friday night and I watched a kid every Tues and Thurs night.

I got a bunch of money and then started asking my parents if they would bring me to the pet store to get a rat, since it would be no costs to them an all.. they would just have to put up with the fact of an animal existing in my room, which I've always had. Then when they always refused to bring to the shop for a few months.. I said for about a week how I planned on walking to the shop someday soon and getting a rat.

So one day I said I was gonna go walk to the pet store and see if they had any nice rats, started walking out the door and my Mom gave in and said she would take me to LOOK.

Well, we got there and the pet shop owner's daughters were desperate to get this one particular rat a home since he was the sweetest and they had held him since he was little, they didn't want him to be bought for snake food. He was a black hooded, and like juvenile sized, he immediately smothered my Mom in kisses and she melted and asked if I wanted him lol.

That's how I got my first rat, Raziel back in like '99.
He was always happy and healthy and pretty much my constant companion around the house. He got huge, but was a big lug. I could even hold him on his back and he always had lots of kisses to give. One morning, about 2 years after, he had passed away, In his sleep overnight just like that. It was one of the hardest losses of my life. My dad's g/f, making nice with me, got me another rat, Ruben, about 6 months or so before Raziel passed. So my having rats just continued on.

.........................................................................................................

~Anyhow.. you could try finding a steady income, arrange to babysit your cousins every Friday night so their parents can have some "time away" or something to that effect... I started out watching my cousins and then got signed up for a babysitting class which was like every Saturday morning for a couple hours, for a month or so and then I got a babysitting certificate / license which got me more sitting jobs. Or maybe help out a person who runs their own business.. I used to get paid to do inventory and data entry things for my dad's g/f's Ebay and flea market, etc. mini-business a couple evenings a week.

Maybe then if you have an income you could help the "financial situation", like pay some sorta rent or "Rat rent" and also having some steady bit of income would definitely help show you have responsibility. I don't know anyone who would turn down nearly free money. This can also show that you will be able to cover all the rat living expenses every month or whenever you would stock up on food, litter etc. You could even go get hooked up with one of those "savings accounts for kids" stuff some banks do and start an account to save emergency money in. A bank account would also help with the whole proving responsible and serious.

Also, having a small job or two kinda early on is a great start, I got hired at a real store my freshman year of high school because I had experience with my dad's g/f's business and had a ton of references from ppl I babysat for. I was able to save up for my own class ring and afford to go to movies and have 2 rats, a bunny, and a German shepherd. I was able to save up for a prom dress and prom tickets and year books and all that, when my parent's money was tight.. (from the g/f's failing business lol).

Anyhow... I wish you luck, If saying you are going to do things has not worked, showing them might.

~Sorrie this got real long lolz.~

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thats good to hear, keep us posted =^_^=

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd like to say in response to Mana's post - that if you are buying $5 rats you are probably getting rats with more health problems. Pet store rats are notorious at getting ill, having pre-existing conditions, being already pregnant when you get them and dying early. If you are going to get a rat - please please go to a good breeder. It really will save you a lot of money in the long run.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd like to say in response to Mana's post - that if you are buying $5 rats you are probably getting rats with more health problems. Pet store rats are notorious at getting ill, having pre-existing conditions, being already pregnant when you get them and dying early. If you are going to get a rat - please please go to a good breeder. It really will save you a lot of money in the long run. Plus, I started out thinking that it really wasn't going to be a big cost - but in 5 months I've probably spent close to $600 ($300 just for my cage) on my ratties (but I do spoil them). I hope this hasn't scared you off, but my breeder is also a rat rescue and she has so many rats that parents or kids suddenly decided that they didn't want, couldn't care for or couldn't afford. (PS sorry for kinda posting twice)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not all $5 rats are from pet stores - around here, that's how much humane societies charge for adopting them. Also, not everyone has access to breeders, there are none at all in this area, and as far as I know also none in the surrounding states.

What I meant anyway was that my parents would have regarded the rats as cheap pets, and they wouldn't have spent money on vet care (which all rats, no matter where they're from, are going to need at some point in their lives), and also no matter how much I spent on the rat itself, it would be less than the cost of the vet care, meaning, to my parents it would be cheaper to just get a new rat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are rats really only five dollars in the US? My pet shop charge eight pounds (Sterling) per rat, which works out at about 16 dollars each. Quite a difference!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have purchased rats at Petco for around $7. each before. The one good thing about Petco is that if you get a sick animal from them, you can arrange to take it to the vet that they use and they will pick up the tab. I had to do this one time because I got a rat that got sneezy from them.

They try to tell you that you should bring the animal in and exchange for a different one.. but if you twist their arm a lil with the whole 'already attached, just got over the loss of my last pet' thing.. they will make the deal. This is of course, compared to other kinds of pet shops only.. I got a rat from a store once that had the 'new home sneezes' but I was extra worried and they told me to put her in an aquarium cage and drape a towel over the top.. that does not make much sense, it actually even goes against when I brought this rat to the vets. The vet said she was healthy but to be sure she has a cage with bars for good air circulation, which she does.

I really want to work hard to try and find a breeder next time I get new rats, so far in the past I've found not one clue.

·
Registered
418 Posts
:Edit: Oops, double post..

But on a side note, all the rats I have purchased at Petco have turned out just fine, and ones from my local family owned pet shop also.
One time a rat from petco had the sneezes and they paid and the vet gave me some apple tasting liquid medicine just in case. One rat I had got from petco ended up with cancer in her old age, but I don't know wheres the fault of that.. bad genetics or bad luck who knows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I didn't keep you updated. Nothing's happening yet though. :( And if I do get a new rat, look out for the thread with all caps locks and a million exclamation marks;) *lol*

·
Registered
188 Posts
If they are freaked out about the whole rat thing just call it a ferret/guinea pig/giant hamster until they love it. Thats what I did with my grandfather. Yet he didn't realize we owned a guinea pig for at least 6 months and that thing always stunk no matter what litters we tried and with daily cage cleanings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts