Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning :) (10:22am in the UK).

I just wondered what peoples experiences were with having girls instead of boys? I feel drawn to girls but would love to know other people experiences of having female companions :)

No information is unimportant, any little story or piece of advice would be wonderful!

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Constantly in motion would be the characteristic that most comes to mind.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
They are challenging! Fast minds and faster feet can keep you on the go. They steal and get into everything they shouldn't and can get destructive when bored... But they love to play with you and challenge you back.

I have a daughter who's now almost 10 years old, we started with girls when she was only 5 and needed a puppy...

I think our girl Fuzzy Rat did more to fill that role than most puppies ever did. She became more than just a family pet, she became part of the family. And our girls ever since have likewise risen to whatever challenges of being a much larger animal than her size would have dictated.

https://vid.me/BzNQ

https://vid.me/3edL

Naturally Fuzzy Rat was truly special and amazing.... a very rare true shoulder rat in the finest tradition. And very few rats get this competent.

But this is our newest true shoulder rat Misty

https://vid.me/SgmU

And she's not too shabby either...

If you want a rat to play with and interact with and especially if you have kids, girls are for you. Now when girls get older they do slow down and become more laid back, few become lap rats, but some do. In a way it's nice to have an old lady lounging around the house, on the other hand you miss the craziness...

So as I'm typing this I saw misty out of the corner of my eye hopping along with a face full of chicken bones stolen from the trash and running to hide them somewhere in the house... like I said, they are challenging.

Maybe a nice lazy boy might make for a nice change of pace, but I love our girls... just keep them busy or they will find all sorts of trouble to get into.

Best luck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Our girls are always active when they're out. They used to stay cuddled with us and allow themselves to be massaged until they boggled. I think they were okay with that because they were young and uncertain. Now they know this is their home, and they don't stand to be held for more than half a minute. They squirm and want to go play.

We miss the days when they would stay close to us, but I'd rather they be happy and confident than timid and scared. They're all still under a year old, so we're not to the little-old-lady phase yet.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
All rats have unique personalities. I have both females and males.

I like how Dustyrat said constantly in motion, that sums them up quite well. My girls always have somewhere to go, something to do and they don't always have the time for your nonsense!

My girls are not cuddly but love me, come to me, some like to be petted and have attention. They will gladly sit on my shoulder. Some for a bit and others will constantly try to get down after 30 secs. The only one that really enjoys being held is my baby who was extremely well handled since birth while her sister tolerates being held better then the other girls she is still quite ready to adventure.

Mostly my time out with them involves a cycle of rat running to me, perhaps climbing on me then taking off again.

I feel that my girls also have a more active mind then my boys. So they don't only need constant physical stimulation but also mental. So if they are not getting that it can lead to mischief. Female rats can be more prone to chewing, destruction, and escaping. For all of my boys but 1 I can leave a very small playpen in front of the door that they can easily jump over. Only one of the boys will escape. All of the girls would be over that in an instant. My girls are always getting into the craziest places, testing my rat proofing skills, and my patience lol On the few days I have to miss free range time my boys will pout but my girls act like they have been abused & neglected and get cranky if I am just alittle late getting them out!

While I love the personalities of my boys as well, I really love my crazy girls. My heart rat is a girl. I think some ppl think girls are not as loving as boys because they won't sit in your lap and cuddle but I think girls just have a different way of showing it. :) There is no doubt with some of my girls that they love and adore me.

All of my girls get along very well. There can be some squabbles but mostly everyone is great with each other. I have a simple time introducing new girls to them. On the other hand with boys it has been a nightmare and having to separate my boys because of fighting.

All of my girls are fairly well litterbox trained and I don't get peed on or marked (but that isnt the case for everyone) and to be fair only one of my boys will mark me & everything else.

But also be aware that where you rat has come from makes a difference. If you get a rat that wasn't handled it may be very shy & timid.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have little else to add. Bundles of energy, that is for sure. If you want a couple of cuddly lap rats, girls are for sure not it. Though, my husband and I have both gotten "marked" especially after we have just washed the lap blanket we put on our lap when we have them out. They both love hiding under the blanket, and often all I would see is a couple little noses peeking out. My girls were sisters (we just had Roxy pass over the Bridge last night) and Roxy was more out going than her sister. The dominant on for sure. Daisy hasrecently become more bold, so I am anxious to see how shedoes now she is alone, and if do decide to bring more rats in to the mix.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In general, they are more active than boys. But every rat is unique. My Rosey is independent, but not very active. Madame Dupree is just lazy and a loner. Bear is the adventure seeker, who chews through cabinets, crown molding, bathing suits and can often be seen trying to leap far distances. Then my heart rat, Delilah, always busy but loves to hang out in my shirt. Girls are great!

·
Registered
994 Posts
The whole "males=lazy, cuddley, calm. Females= hyper, curious, playful ". Are just general traits but they are not set in stone, it all comes down to individual personalities. My female rat, Merry, will fall asleep in my hand as I massage her ears. Its a misconception that females are distant and don't bond as much with their owners compared to males because they preffer to run around and explore rather than sit in your lap. In the start I wanted males because I read that they where more calm and like to snuggle and therefore they must be more lovable but I ended up getting females and I don't regret it for a second. Both genders have the affectionate, intelligent qualites that make rats good pets so you really can't go wrong with either gender you choose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Constantly in motion" is right :p I gotta take pictures of 'em when they're either drowsy, sleeping, or eating, otherwise it's just a wild blur. Always looking for new places to jump to and never liking to be held for too long, places to go, people to see, fruit to eat, etc. October in particular will run up to my shoulder and start bruxing and boggling but refuses to stay there for anywhere over a minute or two ;D It sure is difficult to keep track of them sometimes, but I do love their neverending supply of energy!
Also, side-note: When I first did my research on rats, and I read that males tend to be more lazy and chilled out and females tend to be energetic, I VIOLENTLY underestimated what the difference would be like!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Never had boys but my girls are just like everyone says. Sake(my feeder ratty) is the calmest one and when her friends are not around she sometimes sleeps on me while I scratch her belly(I once had her sleeping on my lap for 3 hours) but I can't expect that everyday. I know my rats love me lots because everytime I am home after a day put they get crazy to come with me and when I put my face near them they lick my lips and cheeks, but once they are out of the cage they come to me for treats, a quick scratch or pet and off they go to explore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my girls for about four months now and they're balls of energy. They love to come out and play and are little troublemakers. Even though they're not cuddly and they don't enjoy being held, they're still incredibly affectionate. When they play, they'll stop for just a moment to run up to me and give little kisses before they're off to explore in the blankets again. Girls get bored easily, so make sure they have plenty of things to do inside the cage! My girls have tons of toys and stuff to use when I'm in class or out of my room.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My females are party animals. They are constantly on the move, but very loving and loyal. They are not couch potatoes, and not always up for being tightly snuggled, but that's okay by me. They are true companions, wanting to be with you and exploring beside you every day. I used to worry that they loved exploring so much that they'd get out of my sight and never come back. It's still possible - which is why I have to make sure they don't get on to the floor when they're really attempting to use me as a ladder. But, for the most part, they are so closely bonded to me that they will always come back and find me. Millie comes pretty much every time she's called. Daisy comes pretty much every time that Millie is called, but when she's called she prefers to ignore me most of the time ;) As I'm writing this, I just pulled an almost upside down Millie off of the top of my bedpost. Yes, they are very mischievous indeed! They are mouthy, chewing at their CN pans and making discreet little windows in my duvet to crawl in and out of. And when they lick you, hold on to your hat, it will be intense! Most grooming sessions are on my hands and feet and last about three to five minutes with these chicks. If you pull away they basically say "No no no! You must be bathed!" They care about my dirt, I guess. And it tickles so much! They very smart and active. They are also fiercely loyal. And, they're constantly running on top of my laptop keyboard. It entertains them for some reason. They are pretty neat, though they like to rearrange stuff when they can. Their nesting behaviors are very entertaining to say the least! They're wonderful pets to have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts