Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cage i am looking at getting is a Tall Chinchilla. I cant post a pic currently, but it should show up easily on google...This is the description:Good quality, purpose designed chinchilla/rat cage with pull out cleaning tray. Comes with three small metal wire shelves and ladders. Size: 51cm deep x 60.5cm wide x 152cm high. With castor wheels. Colour: Powder coated gunmetal grey. Bar spacing on this cage is 10mm. There are two hook shut doors each measuring 26x30cm.I know it's a pain that I can't show a pic of the cage, but based on the measurements, what are your thoughts? I am limited in space, so taller rather than wide is how I need to go. The lack of shelves is fine, i can add more easily and make hammocks etc. Any other UK cage suggestions other than this? Looking to stay around the £100 mark if at all possible...Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I looked it up and it seems nice to me. I found this page, I believe that last page is the one you're talking about. http://www.sophielynette.com/ferplast.html The person who made the page gave some info on it too.

The space, according the rat cage calculator says it holds up to 4. I went by the internal size that the page I gave showed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It looks great for the price, the only potential annoying thing could be the limited access? For when it comes to cleaning and hanging toys/hammocks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the one Kitterpuss :) the doors are a little smaller than ideal, but what I've done in the past is get large doors of a broken donor cage and attach them, then cut the cage behind to make a larger/additional opening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had space for something wider though :-( but the only suitable space for a cage like I want would be in the dining room, and I think that's a bit too isolated from the family, as we spend most of our time in the living room. As it is they'll be located in the hallway, away from the fingers of my youngest, but still able to see us and be close.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I reckon you should just go with the tall chinchilla. :) Its the right price, right size and it looks good and solid. Fill it with lots of ropes, branches, hammocks etc to give them something to catch if they fall. You can zip ties cat litter trays and pound store baskets for ledges, and amazon does nice corner shelves for cages if you want to buy something built for purpose.

This thread has some great tall cage layout ideas.

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=116079&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to like the furplast corner shelves to add into cages, they were nice and robust and easy to adjust, might have to get a few more of them. I I've the idea of £1 store litter trays more though! Thanks for the link too, shall browse away :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yeah the furplast shelves are nice, got some myself- easy to adjust and change things up. Just a bit pricey for what they are I suppose! Pound land sometimes sells dog rope chews that make nice rope bridges and fleece blankets that fold nicely into beds. They also do those coloured plastic baby chain link toys that are useful for hanging things inside the cage. I can't help popping in to see what I can get :D
Happy cage shopping - looking forward to seeing your set up :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I kind of like the huge amount of open space at the top for whatever you want. Hammocks, sputniks, cubes, oh my! :p The only thing I can see wrong would be it being hard to hang things.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok.... So I bought this! http://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/blenheim-extra-tall-cage-with-accessories-140cm-black-p-16833.html. Not the Tall Chinchilla I had planned, but this offers a lot more floor space initially as it comes with lots more shelves, and larger access doors. It also comes with a bottle and bowl, so cuts cost... Which I spent on a Sputnik ;-) and most importantly, it still just fits the location we had in mind. Perhaps not such a quality looking cage, but I think it will work better for us :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We've also reserved two bucks from the local pet store :) friendly, inquisitive, downright cheeky! And the larger of the litter, so less chance of escape from the 2.5cm bar spacing, the biggest down I can see with the cage...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nice one! I think your rats will appreciate the extra floor space.
I have been fancying that cage myself. It gets good reviews and I think it looks quite handsome. You can section that cage off into two cages too, which will be handy if you ever need to separate an injured ratty.

If you find the rats can escape you can always order some wire mesh from Wicks and fasten it temporarily to the outside of the cage :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts