Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my precious, beautiful Mango two days ago and miss her so incredibly much. I have just posted a thread on her wonderful life in "the rainbow bridge" section of this site if anyone would like to read it.
What I'm noticing now is just how empty the cage feels. Honestly, three rats feels like SO much less than four rats. I know it's only a difference of one, but I feel like her passing changed the dynamics of the group. Remaining is Tango, Mango's litter mate, who is just around a year old (Mango was very young to pass but had a lifetime of health struggles) and Yoshi and Pancakes, two sister rats who are about 5-6 months old now. The three get along very well but it was always Mango who would sleep with them and play with them - and now the three just sleep in separate parts of the cage, and though they obviously do interact and like each other, it's just not the way that they did with Mango. It might sound silly but somehow she was the "glue" of the little ratty family.
Is it normal for the cage dynamics to shift a bit? For it to seem quite empty?
I'm worried about the other girls, and have considered adopting a new pair of ratty sisters. However, my fiance thinks it's better to wait until Tango (Mango's sister) passes, as she's just over a year old and he doesn't want her to feel out numbered or bothered by new additions. But on the other hand, we hate to see her lonely.
I'd love some input from you all on how you would tackle this situation. Perhaps since the loss is still so fresh we just need some time to all adapt.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think it is normal for the cage dynamics to change, especially when one was strongly bonded to another. Tango will probably mourn quite a bit (I know Chai did when Mocha passed). Since she has friends in the cage, I really would wait to see how it all plays out in the next week or so.

My boyfriend and I did read your lovely rainbow bridge post. I am not very good at saying the right thing in hard times but he totally understood, having just lost his heart rat. We both feel your pain and we're so sorry for your loss.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts