Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Item 1- Has anyone else ever had a whiff of old stale rat urine? Holy smokes, that's as toxic a scent as I've ever had the displeasure to have smack me in the face! I normally put down generous amounts of baking soda in their tub for old fleeces, but I guess I forgot; and let me tell you, I never will again...

Item 2- These girls are impossible. I clean the cage, replace litter pan YN, take all their things out (toys, veggies from earlier in the day, toilet paper tubes, etc) and scatter them around the cage. And THE FIRST thing they do upon re-entering the cage is to drag them all back and stick them in the corner of the litter box. It's also the corner that gets the highest poop traffic. It's called sanitation, dears, and I'm trying so hard to make them understand! Sigh, rats...

Item 3- I picked up the Super Pet Clean Cage spray at PetCo the other day, and I do love it so! Spray it on, pee comes right off, and I'm left with a lovely scent. And no stickiness! I used to use some Lysol wipes and then wiped it down with water, but it was always left sticky and a little unpleasant smelling... this stuff is great!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm used to the smell for some reason. XD

·
Registered
175 Posts
For me, its seems to depend on what kinda of bedding they are on. When I was using CareFresh, it started to reek horribly in just a day or two. When I would clean it, I was gagging because it smelled so bad. Now that I have them on aspen shavings, I change the litter twice a week (Thursday and Sunday) and while there is some smell when I clean it, it is perfectly tolerable.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
CaptainFlow said:
Holy smokes, that's as toxic a scent as I've ever had the displeasure to have smack me in the face!

It's called sanitation, dears!
HAHAHA. you are wonderful. but yes, stale pee is something in it's own right. it's completely different than the smell of fresh pee. and wow, gross. and i understand how raunch the idea is that they will sleep and eat in their own poop box. :( i wish i could help them understand. good luck with that smell, your wonder-spray sounds neat...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts