Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took Neera to the vet last Wednesday because of her ear infection and the lump on her throat. Before I get into anything I just wanted to give a bit of information about my vet visit. My vet was terrible to Neera and didn't give her the care she deserved. (I'll have to try and find a new one, but I might have to deal with him for a few more visits...) He held her by the tail for the entirety of his examination and even went so far as to drag her around the counter by her tail. While inspecting the lump on her throat he pinned her and was rougher than I feel was necessary while lookin at it. Neera was squealing the entire time and it really started to upset me... She never squeals that much, even if I pin her and don't let her move...

He didn't even read what his assistants had typed up for him beforehand. He didn't know I came in for the ear infection and didn't notice anything through his examination until I said something. He gave me a weird look when I said she had a head tilt and then he stared at Neera for about a minute and said "I guess I kinda see it.." and then he inspected her ear and said it looked clean. He didn't take out that device they use to look, he just eye-balled it. He jus really didn't do a good job of it...

Okay, but onto the symptoms. Her throat suddenly grew a lump very quickly, basically in just a day and it hasn't seemed to have gotten any bigger. It is near her jaw but it isn't hindering her at all. It doesn't seem to be attached to anything and it moves freely when I try to move it, so it doesn't seem cancerous. It started out squishy but it has gotten harder now. It also suddenly has some black coloring on it that wasn't there before... I can also try and get a picture if anyone needs it.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It's an abcess ten to one. If you don't want to get it lanced you'll just need to do warm compresses every day then keep it open once it pops and do saline rinses.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't trust the vet I have to lance and drain it. Is it possible for me to do it? Should I just keep the warm compress on it and let it pop on its own? And how should I do the saline and how often?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Firstly, I'd see if you can find some rat folks near you. Any rescues, breeders that can maybe recommend another vet. I hate feeling like Im completely wasting my money on a vet that seems to know less that the people on the board. So worth it to find one you like and feel confident in.

On the abscess, We just went through that with our Buttercup and did a hot compress and it burst within two days. Her's was on her jaw as well. It started rather small and got larger...like in a day and the day it burst had a blackish look at the place it burst. I'm guessing, blood at the surface. Her's was upper jaw and she was put on antibiotics. I'm guessing your girl already is due to the ear infection. We did hot compresses every few hours, cause we were worried about it closing. They gave us..darn can't remember the name, but that blueish rinse stuff. However we just used a saline solution. Within two days of bursting you would never even know it was there, it healed super fast.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. So I should just try putting a warm compress on it for 5-10 minutes a few times a day and waiting to see if it'll burst?

I'll also try and find a good vet. I know that the Pheonix Gate Rattery recommends a vet that they use, it's just a bit far for my parenta to drive... Once I can drive myself I will happily drive that far but I can't make my parents drive so far for animals they don't even like. I'll look around the area again and see if I can find a vet a little better at least... Most gets that treat rats are more than an hour away from me. :I

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright guys, so I put a warm dishcloth on Neera's lump and within 5 minutes it had burst. Neera was pretty difficult about letting me clean it though, but she actually helped me clean it and I just put the saline solution on it. I'm not sure if I got any in but I think I did... She's licking it off though. Is that bad?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My vet did the exact same thing. Like right down to eyeballing her ear and holding her by the tail. She had a head tilt and a lump on her throat just below the jaw, too. First he did an FNA and said it was an abscess, then the 2nd vet at the clinic made him do it again (cause apparently he messed up the slide) so we did another FNA a week later and he said it was a swollen lymph node (for 2 weeks?) The 2nd vet looked at the slide and said it was a tumor. She just had an operation to have the lump removed yesterday. I guess I'll find out Monday what the lump is after it comes back from testing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow... That's a pretty big coincidence. I get that rats might not exactly be traditional pets, but why would a vet treat them like that? It made me so upset... If you're able to, you might want to try the warm compress yourself and if it is an abscess it might burst for you like Neera's did?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm sorry that you had such a terrible experience with your vet :/ If I still lived in the town I grew up in I would probably just not have rats at all. The only vet in town threw my cat across the room because it scratched him (because he was handling him roughly -_-). I'm glad that the abscess popped. Just keep it clean with saline; it's fine if she licks the saline, it won't hurt her.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay. I'll try to keep it to a minimum though, so she doesn't get too much salt. Should I continue doing the saline until it heals? And how often if I do?

Ugh... Shouldn't vets like animals? I want to be a vet when I grow up and I can't imagine doing that to any animal... It's just depressing to me how much some vets don't care. :I

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay. Thank you very much for your help! I'm glad Neera doesn't have to deal with that abscess anymore. :I

Still though... I kind of understand that reasoning, but to you cats are still pets and are still loved.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Abscesses can return or persist, so do keep an eye on the area. If it doesn't seem to be healing then antibiotics might be necessary. Wishing you the best of luck and speedy healing for Neera!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! :3 She is already on antibiotics for her ear infection, so will that suffice? And I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it's healing okay.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Vet's usually use a broad spectrum antibiotic, so hopefully that will knock out any bacteria that might be hanging around.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Abscesses must heal from the inside out. If any pus is inside it will return. You must keep it open by using a q tip on the hole twice a day for five days. Saline will rinse it do twice a day until it closes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright. I'll keep you guys updated on her condition! :3 And she's on Baytril.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts