Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this tick spray for small rodents like rats and followed directions but my rats won't stop trying to clean themselves and I don't want them eating that stuff what do I do and do you think it will hurt them

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would need tick spray. Larval ticks tend to attach themselves around the rat's eyes, mouth and fingers, I just pick them off with tweezers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's because he began scratching so much that he has some bald spots and I didn't want him to be miserable so I sprayed him down because the spray is also supposed to be anti itch

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree you really shouldn't need tick spray. And if he's itching, you need to figure out why and treat the problem, not the symptom.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
If he has mites, which are too small to see and quite common, you need Revolution, check some old threads for details... If it's something else, you should address that too....

Tick spray is for ticks and although rats do get larval ticks, you just pick them off with tweezers. And yes, my rats have gotten larval ticks, so I'm speaking from experience... Actually rats and ticks rarely comes up as so few people have rats that explore tall grass where they can get ticks on their own.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For my dogs I use Vetri Science spray or wipes. All natural and my vet said it would help the rats if they get mites too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Omg lol I can't bieleve I said ticks this whole time I meant mites I used mite spray I'm so sorry I meant to say mites

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Most mite sprays are meant for birds and they don't work on rats... They do provide some temporary relief, but it doesn't last more than a couple of days. Trust me I tried it. You want Revolution.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
My favorite method is to find a vet that doesn't see rats and buy it from him. This way I get the right medication without the office visit.

Keep in mind that revolution is not only a cure but it's also a preventative, and is used for cats and dogs.... So you really don't need a diagnosis, you are simply preventing your rat from getting mites if push comes to shove.

I buy the larger dose of the less potent variety I think it's for cats and I keep the unused portion sealed air tight in the freezer for future use. You only need one or two good drops on each rats skin. It takes about a week to work and you let your rat play as normal... your rat becomes mite toxic and as it explores about it sucks up all of the stray mites and kills them. It's not a bad idea to clean the cage, and vacuum the house but overall your rat is toxic to mites for about a month and in that time it will usually do a pretty good job of killing off your mite infestation for you.

There may also be mail order sources... A tube of revolution should cost you about $17.00 give or take a few bucks. You will also need to treat all of your rats and mice at the same time as they will reinfect each other.

Best luck.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
You put it on the back of their neck where they can't get at it and wait for it to soak in and dry before you put the rats back together where they can lick each other.

Unlike ivermectin it's rather hard to overdose on revolution... a little too much ivermectin and your rat's neurologically damaged or dead... revolution can safely be overdosed several if not many times over. That and the fact it works for about a month make it the product of choice.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I believe that kitten and cat is the same strength, except you get more in the cat tube. Pretty much all of the tubes cost the same, the only difference is the concentration and the amount in the package. They are designed as single dose applicators for the animals they specify. Rats are an off label use.

There is lots more information in various threads in the rat health section and links to some great web pages for further guidance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts