Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I got my rats about a week and 2 days ago. I understand they are going to be scared at first, so I've taken my time and introduced myself slowly (giving them treats outside the door of their hiding place, letting them smell me, etc.). They now accept treats from the palm of my hand and will occasionally exit the cage for them, so they're not terrified. However, sometimes they will just hide away if they see me or hear me coming and not come out. One of them, sometimes, climbs the cage for ages, uses the wheel and runs around, but then other times she will hide under the wheel or away in the box, and if I go near she'll put herself into the corner away from me. Is there anything I can do to stop them being scared or will it just go away with time?

[Edit]
Also they like to block up the doorway to their box with the bedding at different times of day and then they won't come out for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rats naturally need some time to learn to trust you, and that will happen naturally as you spend time with them. When you first get your rats, be careful about scaring them. Walk by their cage often and talk to them in a calm, encouraging voice. They'll soon get used to your voice and presence. Offer them treats whenever you open the cage door, and if they won't take them from your hand at first, just be patient and eventually they'll come around. Try resting your hand in the cage and let them come to you. You don't want to push your rats to trust you right off the bat. Give them time to get used to you and to trust you. Once they readily accept food from your hand, then you can work on getting them used to being picked up and held. The main thing is to get them more used to you. The more you interact with them in non-stressful ways like offering treats, talking to them, and playing with them, the more they will learn to trust you. Also, every rat is different, so some may take more readily to humans than others. Just give them time. Also, rats are naturally nocturnal, so it's normal for them to sleep during the day. Try interacting with them in the evening or early morning when they'll be more active.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts