Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just acquired my first rat two weeks ago. I really don't know how old she is, but I think she's about 8-10 weeks. I purchased her from my work, I work at a pet store in Levittown,PA.
She was a feeder rat, but I noticed her immediately because of her being a colored feeder rat,which we[the store] rarely get.

So, here she is. I think she's a Norwegian rat from what I've read about rats.

Right now She's eating Lab blocks, hay, Puppy food {for extra protien} and she's got plenty of treats to choose from along with a mineral block.
I've noticed she doesn't move at all in the ball I put her in, she tilts it, but never really tries to move. Should I get her a bigger one? She almost fills it up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hi Shivra, welcome to the forums! :)

We have two girls, one is 14 months and the other is 4 months. Our eldest uses the ball regularly, but our youngest does pretty much the same as yours is doing. I think our eldest was about 8 months when we first put her in the ball, and we started with a large ball. She just took to it straight away.

I would get her a bigger one and keep trying periodically. Be careful not to make her feel pressured into going into it, though. You don't want her to think it's a bad place. Our eldest, if she goes on the run, will actually readily climb into a ball placed in front of her as she sees it as a safe place.

Your rat may eventually grow into using a ball, or she may not ever use it. All rats are different, really.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Best advice I can give you is get her a cagemate. Everyone will tell you the same. Rats shouldn't be kept alone because they're so incredibly social.

She's adorable btw!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Most all pet rats are Norwegian rats(rattus norvegicus or something).

Puppy chow are most often too high in fat and protein(if your rat starts to lose hair, too much protein). Senior diets low in fat and proteins are good.

Through my ownership people press Innova Senior dog brand, but they've recently started to phase out the original recepie with new ones that range in fat content.

I also suggest getting a cagemate, but be warned, there are steps to go through so getting a small, inexpensive cage(which coul later be used for vet visits and whatnot) will be a good first step. IF you need help with intro's many people here have links to good sites.

What dimensions are her cage?

And rats don't tend to warm up to exercise balls(some love them, but not all). I suggest an in-cage wheel(solid suface) or a rat-proffed area for play.

If I forgot something, just ask...xD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts