Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,So, I'm sure this will come as no surprise to most of you...but my pet store rats have an upper respiratory infection. Just got back from the vets with some antibiotics..that they really don't want to take!(Eek! Side note my UPS just dropped off my double critter nation!!!) Anyway, I'm looking for any advise on getting the antibiotics into my rats mouth. I tried giving it to one of the girls and I got it all over my sweater and on her face..so not sure much made its way into her mouth.Thanks and wish me luck setting up the DCN!

·
Registered
664 Posts
One piece of advice I got that helps is hold them really close to you like a hug with one hand, and push back just a bit on the corners of their mouth with the other. seemed to help. Much better than struggling. My first rat Basil's favorite treat was bread. He had an infected bite from his cagemate once and I would put his medicine on a piece of bread no problem. Of course different rats respond differently to treats. In my current mischief, the girls take treats but Ziggy, my last boy, doesn't care to much.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My boys do well with meds mixed in baby food, vitamin paste and honey. They go nutso for malty vitamin paste so if you can get a hold of that it may work! Trick is to go for something delicious with a strong taste so that it masks the bitter tasting meds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far my poorly boy likes it in a small amount of mayonnaise. Chicken stock mixed with water and meds didn't work (he pushed it out of my hands...), I think just find a treat they like, that has a strong taste :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I get my rats to take their medication by putting it in an eye dropper mixed with flavored vitamin water or gatorade. Hides the taste and makes sure they're getting water.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ah my new male rats are on medicine for upper respiratory infection too. What I do is I use the dropper to take the medicine out of the bottle and place it on a chip. I move the chip around a little bit so the medicine gets absorbed in the chip. Once the medicine is absorbed I give the chip(s) to the boys and make sure they both eat their chip :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried putting baby food in the syringe with the antibiotics..but Hazel just pushed it away, the little bugger ;)Plan on trying to let it soak into something tomorrow morning, hopefully that will work since they tend to be more active then.Sucks, cause I've only had them a few weeks and I feel like the trip to the vet and trying to get them to take melds is setting us back..as far as them trusting me goes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm currently struggling to get Neera to take her medicine... Because she grooms herself so much, yesterday I put it in jelly and mixed it up and smeared it all over her sides and back (Where she could reach). She ate almost all of her medicine that way but it made a mess when she would rub on things. Right now I just soaked some cheerios in it and she ate almost all of them with no fuss. That's probably the method I'll be using for the remainder of her medication. I would try to grt as much on a single cheerio as possible without making it horribly soggy though, since now Neera doesn't want anymore. XD

·
Registered
89 Posts
I mixed my boys in with a bit of jam and put it back in the syringe, he lapped it up from the end :)

Brothers got jealous haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts