Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found an ad for a single female rat who is a year old. She comes with her own cage and all the belongings inside. There are a few concerns though.

1. They live 5 hours away and because of the inability to disassemble the cage and the sellers lack of a truck, I will be making that commute. (This is not really THAT big a deal, but just slightly irking)

2. I currently have my two boys in a DCN in my room and I'm worried that bringing a female in the general vicinity is going to make them aggressive towards each other.

3. I go away for the weekends sometimes and my mother is my boys babysitter. (She calls herself grandma lol Its cute) If I were to adopt this rat, that would be four separate long playtimes a day, and two salads every other day. I spoke to her about this and she said she'd think about it but she isn't too worried about it being a burden because she loves my ratties, and she'd love this girl too.

That's basically all right now. On the plus side, I contacted the seller and she said that she already introduced a young female friend and they get along great. (Which is good because I was planning on doing that if I adopted her anyway). I have plenty of room in my bedroom to keep the two cages. And when I looked at all her pictures, I kind of fell in love with her already. I felt the same way when I first saw my heart rats picture last year.

So, I just need some advice. What do you think I should do? Are two separate mischiefs difficult? Am I thinking this through all the way? Just, please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Put it this way.
Pros:
you love her
she comes with cage
Only a year old

Cons:
you have to drive 5 hours
the rat you introduce to her may fight with her
more cleaning

So you really just have to decided if you are ready for the commitment and that you are ready for the possibility of them not getting along. I had two diffrent pairs and it was slightly difficult but fun at the same time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said in the first post, the two females have already been introduced and get along. The seller didn't want the one to be lonely so she got her a friend and I'd be adopting both of them together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think if you have already feel in love with them and u think they are worth all the troubles. Then go get them girls! I think they both will love grandma too!!!! :blush:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Like I said in the first post, the two females have already been introduced and get along. The seller didn't want the one to be lonely so she got her a friend and I'd be adopting both of them together.
ohhhhh. now i understand.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
=) It was kind of love at first sight lol. And the seller just sent me a picture of the younger female who is a PEW rattie and I have a soft spot for those.

But does anyone have any comments about my male rats being in the same room as the females? They won't have contact but will the shared environment cause a issue with my boys?

·
Registered
145 Posts
As far as them being in the same room, I think it would be OK.

When I first had rats. I had males and females (13 total, yes separate cages) their cages were right next to each other. None of them were neutered and no females were spayed, they did just fine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I wouldn't have been able to get out there until next Sunday, so the seller adopted them out today to someone else instead. =/ Thank you all for your help though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts