Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that Loki's top teeth are slightly uneven in length and seem to be a bit longer than usual. He just recovered from a particularly hard hitting URI but he never stopped eating and he is still happily munching away at whatever I give him. Should I go ahead and clip his teeth or will he be able to wear them down evenly on his own again?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would give him something to chew on first and see if that helps wear them down. I get cardboard straws from a dollar store (any craft shop or party store has them too) and my rats love to chew them to shreds and it has helped with their teeth. Hopefully that would help yours also :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd keep an eye on it, stick a few bones in the cage as good for gnawring (cardboard doesnt offer much resistance) and full of calcium to help make sure he's got what he needs to form new tooth material. If it gets worse so hes strugging to eat then take him, the trouble is clipping can make them worse long term.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have him a whimzee dental chew as soon as I noticed, hopefully that will help him. What do you mean that clipping can be worse long term isamu?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
When the teeth are clipped it can damage or fracture the teeth further up (particularly if there diet isn’t up to scratch), going on to mean that the teeth grow worse or the rat can’t continue to gnaw well itself and so the problems continue. Its not to say that teeth clipping is always bad, but that its worth leaving it until its needed before getting them done. In some cases a good one off clipping is enough, but often with properly mallacluded rats it become a life time job. In these cases often owners learn to do it themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts