Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my females, miss Rue, who is 10 months old, has a mammary tumor on her left side that's slightly smaller than a half ball or ping pong ball. It doesn't seem to bother her much. It was pretty fast growing, but hasn't grown much lately. It doesn't impair her walking, doesn't seem to hurt her. She's still super active and still washes my fingers and runs around with her sisters. I'm really thinking of having it removed, but I don't want to put her through major surgery if it's just going to come back with a vengeance (which is what often happens with human patients when they're operated on for cancer according to my mother who's worked as a nurse since her twenties). So what do you guys think, especially those who've had a rat go through similar surgery? Did they get another tumor? Did they recover from surgery okay? I'm just not sure what to do here. Money isn't an issue, her quality of life post surgery is.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
She's pretty young for a mammary tumor but it still could be, which makes it benign and less likely to return as long as the vet gets good clean margins during the removal.Can you get your fingers around the lump or is it syrobhgly attached to the body?I had a 10 mo girl who had a malignancy on her neck. Removed it and it didn't come back for a year. At her age you have to try otherwise you will be having her put to sleep in 2-3 months :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's very loosely attached. I can almost pull it away from her body. The vet even said it wasn't very tethered.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since she's under a year I might consider it. I have a 1 and a half year old that has one and the vet and I decided to keep an eye on it for a while. Due to her age were worried she might. Not due well with surgery.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If I had a lump on a female under 1 year old, I would remove the lump and discuss spaying with the vet. Over 1 1/2 years I would likely just try to make her as happy as possible for as long as possible.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
For me, around a year is a definite removial. At 18 months or so, all will depend on how many tumours (if they are sprouting multiple tumours then the possibility of even more showing up are pretty much a given. If its just one tumour, the rat is in good health then I would go ahead. If a rat is over 2 and in good health I still remove tumours, but its much more of a case by case basis.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Good luck! I would have made the same decision.

I've had mass removals done on two of my girls. In both cases, new tumors began to grow almost right away. But on the other hand, the surgery did lengthen their lives considerably.

Moving forward, I've decided to spay every female rat I get. I'd rather put her through one surgery when she's young, than go through all the difficulty of tumors/removals/etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aaaaand we're back! Rue made it through surgery beautifully. She's awake and active. I made sure we had pain meds and antibiotics this time. I'm in love with this vet. Rue like the piece of fleece they woke her up on so much they gave it to her and sent a jar of chicken baby food home because she enjoyed it when she woke up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts